Total Topics: 271
Most Online Today: 119
Most Online Ever: 1155
(April 20, 2021, 12:50:06 pm)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 29
Total: 29

Author Topic: 🚩 Global Climate Chaos ☠️  (Read 116366 times)

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution

Common Dreams Jul. 07, 2021

By Andrea Germanos

Heat Wave Killed Over 1 Billion Tidal Creatures in British Columbia 😵 

The record breaking heat waves that left regions of North America including British Columbia in Canada may have led to the deaths of more than a billion intertidal animals like mussels that inhabit the Salish Sea coastline. Researchers found that many animals essentially "cooked" in their own shells due to the heat as temperatures reached 50°C (122°F), more than the 100°F that the mussels can withstand.

The heat wave killed humans too . British Columbia's chief coroner, announced last Friday that from June 25 to July 1 the region's death toll was three times higher than normal due to the extreme temperatures. More than 700 people died. It also lead to dozens deaths across the Pacific Northwest in the U.S. as well. More shellfish died in that region as well.

Read more:

Agelbert NOTE: The marine vertebrates must have living invertebrates to eat in order to survive...

Selected screenshots from video of presentation on 2015 Study by Scientist Gerardo Ceballos: Threat of Climate Change Caused Extinction to Marine Vertebrates:

« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 02:38:13 pm by AGelbert »
He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. Matt 10:37

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
The IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change) has a scientific name for Business as Usual. They have modeled it. They have a number for it. It's called the RCP-8.5. RCP stands for Representative Concentration Pathway.

Agelbert NOTE: This portion of a back and forth with a biosphere math challenged fellow is reposted here because the actual Climate Change trajectory CONTINUES to be WORSE than RCP 8.5 (i.e. "Worst Case" scenario according to the IPCC). 

BAU annual FF production in the worse case IPCC scenarios (including IPCC RCP-8.5) is LESS than what is NOW BEING PRODUCED annually WORLDWIDE!

If you can cite references to that, I will stop being annoying, but I don't think you can for 3 reasons: 
Because Russia doesn't give out its FF production data publicly, the EIA ESTIMATES it, based on FF industry "knowledge". Because Saudi Arabia and other ME countries outright lie about their figures.
Because IPCC models are driven off decadal estimates of FF burnt.

I'm not your employee. If you are serious about learning the truth, subscribe to GCaptain (it's free). They cheerlead all sorts of polluting energy and shipping, along with an occasional article on Renewable Energy technology. That's where I learned about the Panama Canal LNG increase in activity and all those NEW LNG ice breakers that Russia is building (for some reason that you can't seem to relate to MORE FF production).

Here's a recent article:

http://gcaptain.com/capacity-increases-could-put-transpacific-container-rates-under-more-pressure/

They have their pulse on world shipping, energy production, and cargo capacity. The only article they posted that gives some hope for reduced FF production, among a tsunami of articles over the past year of massive increases in fossil fuel production AND upstream exploitation of NEW FF finds, is the fact that the Schlumberger pigs are getting out of the seismic ocean business (used to find more oil and gas). They are the big dogs in that but there are other polluting pigs who are NOT slowing down, but speeding up, especially in the ocean deposit LNG exploitation. This month the largest sale of leases for oil and gas exploration in the HISTORY of the USA for the Gulf of Mexico will be auctioned by the Trump Tools of the Fossil Fuel Fascists. I read that in GCaptain recently. Now if you think that portends anything but a MASSIVE INCREASE in exploitation for ,and production of, fossil fuels, you need psychological counseling.

Paul Beckwith's web site is also a good place for the truth about climate change and the IPCC scenario shortcomings (otherwise know as Happy Talk). He pulls no punches and gets into the math. So, you can argue with him all you want. I guarantee you that he will carve you up like a thanksgiving turkey.

https://paulbeckwith.net/

I know the truth about the short AND long term effects of the ongoing massive GHG production increase, the IPCC scenario faults and how the world economy is in a boost phase, NOT a 'shrinking bordering on collapse' phase, and do not need to prove anything at all to you.

My numerous posts on this issue have been consistently questioned by you. To me, you have no credibility as an objective person or a disinterested party. Frankly, I do not care if you believe your fantasy. I once did care and tried to patiently, and with irrefutable sources, explain the existential threat we are under to you, but your irrational responses to my posts convinced me that you lack objectivity, to put it as charitably as I can.

If you want to believe a YUGE COLLAPSE is just around the corner, go for it. If you want to believe said 'collapse' is going to make all those pesky GHG atmospheric heaters 'go away' because we are all hunting bugs with spears in the jungle, go for it. Who am I to keep you from going nuts?

Have a nice day.
He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. Matt 10:37

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution

If you haven’t already, sign up for The Revelator’s weekly e-newsletter.

6 Reasons to Pay Attention 🚩 to the 🌡️ Heat

Heatwaves may lack the drama of extreme weather events like named storms. But did you know they’re the deadliest of all severe weather events? The heat dome that locked the Pacific Northwest in a lethal vice last week is the latest reminder: Across the world, things are heating upwith ☠️ fatal results.

Visit The Revelator for six things you need to know about climate change and heat waves.

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution

July 13, 2021

Climate-Fueled Heat, Police 🦍 Tactics Endanger Unhoused People
The extreme heat 🌡️ broiling the American West 😓 poses heightened dangers for unhoused people. Monsoonal humidity in California makes it harder to cool down overnight, the LA Times reports. Even though 35% humidity levels in Southern California are far lower than elsewhere in the country, it diminishes the body's ability to cool down overnight. “Nighttime is the only break we get,” Anthony Wainscott, who lives on the streets of Palmdale, with his dog Roscoe, told the LA Times. “And even then it’s way too hot.”

In Portland, Oregon, recent heatwaves made worse by climate change are exacerbating housing insecurity crises already worsened by the COVID-19 pandemic. Years of police tactics targeting unhoused populations discourage people from seeking shelter indoors out of fear that police will confiscate their possessions and clear housing encampments as they have done in the past.
(California: LA Times; Portland: Grist; Climate Signals background: Extreme heat and heatwaves)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 01:36:21 pm by AGelbert »

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution

Jul 15, 2021

Reservoirs at Record Low Water Levels

The U.S. federal government may soon declare a first-ever water shortage in the Colorado River basin by 2022 at the latest. Declaring a water shortage would mean having mandatory water cuts in the Lower Basin States as two reservoirs, Lake Mead and Lake Powell, have hit record lows after a 21 year decline in the water levels. The Colorado River, which flows through these states, is more than 1,400 miles long and serves about 40 million people across the West.

Farmers and Indigenous tribal nations have been hit the hardest by the lower water levels after years of struggling to secure their share of the river's water. But residents out West don't just get drinking water from the Colorado River, it also powers hydroelectric dams. That includes the Hoover Dam, which produces roughly 4 billion kilowatt-hours of hydroelectric power which is enough to serve 1.3 million people.

Read more:

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
Salmon need river water at or below 56°F ...
« Reply #2195 on: July 16, 2021, 01:39:22 pm »

Make Nexus Hot News part of your morning: click here to subscribe.

Jul 15, 2021

Nearly All The Chinook Salmon In The Sacramento River Will Die  :(

A drumbeat of climate-fueled heatwaves, compounded by water management practices, will likely kill nearly all juvenile chinook salmon in the Sacramento River, California wildlife officials warn. “It’s an extreme set of cascading climate events pushing us into this crisis situation,” California Dept. of Fish and Wildlife spokesperson Jordan Traverso told reporters.

Salmon need river water at or below 56°F to fully develop (which, in a human context, is so dangerously cold it can inhibit your ability to control your breathing). Low river levels caused by drought mean the water heats and evaporates faster, which lowers, and thus further warms the water in a vicious cycle.

The salmon die-offs have increased due to diversions from the Shasta Reservoir, which was formed by damming the Sacramento River in the 1940s, to the agriculture industry across the Central Valley, itself parched by the climate-fueled megadrought.

Read More:
Gizmodo: Sky-high temperatures and human reservoir mismanagement could create an ecological disaster in one of California's main waterways. 

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution

By Tibi Puiu on Jul 16, 2021

Devastating floods in western Europe exceed even worst climate change predictions

SNIPPET:

Climate scientists have warned for decades that emitting copious amounts of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere would make extreme weather, such as floods and heatwaves, more common. But even they, whose predictions have often been labeled ‘alarmist’, were surprised by the extent of the destruction caused by killer floods in Germany this week or the North American deadly heatwaves, where temperatures were close to a staggering 50°C.

Western Europe is 🌊 drowning

Heavy rains in the Rhine basin on Wednesday smashed precipitation records, leading to devastating floods that killed at least 100 people 🤦‍♂️ and destroyed tens of thousands of homes.  Nearly 900 army personnel have joined rescue workers in Germany since about 1,300 people were still reported missing.

Full article:
https://www.zmescience.com/ecology/climate/western-europe-floods-053252/

« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 04:51:25 pm by AGelbert »

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
Flooding & heat 🚩 & fires 🔥 & 🐦😢
« Reply #2197 on: July 19, 2021, 01:24:02 pm »

July 19, 2021

🌊 Flooding & heat 🚩 & fires 🔥 & 🐦😢

80+ Fires Rage Across West, Bootleg Passes 300k Acres

The Bootleg Fire has now burned more than 300,000 acres in southern Oregon and continues to grow as more than 80 large wildfires the West forced evacuations across the region. The Bootleg Fire, currently thenation's  largest fire, is fueled by extremely dry vegetation and low humidity and grew at an average rate of about one football field every five seconds over its first 10 days. It was just 25% contained as of Sunday night PDT. Axios

June Heatwave Sent People To ER, Birds Fleeing Their Nests

The record-shattering Pacific Northwest Heatwave in late June caused a massive increase in emergency room visits, a new CDC report shows. Emergency departments across the region received 3,504 patients with heat-related illnesses in May and June with 79% of those occurring during the six most intense days of the heatwave. Washington and Oregon ERs saw 1,038 visits on June 28 alone, compared to just nine on June 28, 2019. The heatwave affected wildlife as well. Young birds of prey across the West jumped out of their nests to flee the extreme heat, the Washington Post reported. “I think these events really are wake-up calls,” Bob Sallinger, director of conservation at Portland Audubon, said. “That climate change is here, that the impacts are becoming more and more visible.”
Emergency Departments: Axios

Heavy Rains Trigger Deadly Landslides In Mumbai

At least 30 people are dead as heavy rain triggered landslides in and around Mumbai, India over the weekend. One weather station reported more than nine inches (23.49 cm) of rain in a 24 hour period with moderate to heavy rain expected to continue for another 48 hours. Reuters

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
Re: 🚩 Global Climate Chaos ☠️
« Reply #2198 on: July 20, 2021, 04:45:59 pm »

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution

July 21, 2021

There is a hidden cost to food in the United States, according to a new report that evaluated factors like healthcare costs, biodiversity loss, and the direct environmental impacts of farming in the country. The report was released by the Rockefeller Foundation explains in its report, True Cost of Food: Measuring What Matters to Transform the U.S. Food System, and analyzes how our current food system is really costing us in the long run.

This was evaluated through 14 metrics including air pollution, food insecurity, antimicrobial resistance driven by the widespread use of antibiotics in farming, and greenhouse gas emissions. Those "externalized costs" amount to at least $2.1 trillion annually and will be paid for by future generations.

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
May 27, 2021

Amazon Rainforest: no longer the 'lungs of the earth'.

Just Have a Think

282K subscribers

The Amazon was once called the 'lungs of the planet'. New research suggests those lungs are now so badly diseased that they may be irreparable. Human activity hasn't just lowered the amount of CO2 the region can store, it's also kicked off numerous other feedback loops that are now tipping out of control. So what are those variables, and what's the prognosis?

Research Links: 👨‍🔬

Frontiers in Forests and Global Change

Mongabay 🥺🥵

Global Forest Watch
👀

#amazon  #climateemergency   #actnow

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
CleanTechnica
Support CleanTechnica’s work via donations on Patreon or PayPal!

Or just go buy a cool t-shirt, cup, baby outfit, bag, or hoodie.

July 24, 2021

Agelbert COMMENT: The Greedball 🦖 Hydrocarbon 😈 Hellspawn made sure the scientists were ignored. Stupid is as stupid does.

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
Re: 🚩 Global Climate Chaos ☠️
« Reply #2202 on: July 26, 2021, 04:00:48 pm »

July 26, 2021

US set for punishing temperatures as huge ‘heat dome’ to settle over country
The Guardian

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution

July 30, 2021

Greenland Suffers Rapid Ice Melt

Ice sheets in Greenland are melting so rapidly due to high temperatures in the Arctic that the amount of ice melt from Tuesday was enough to cover all of Florida in two inches of water, according to the researchers at Polar Portal.

Greenland has lost 18.4 billion tons of surface mass since last Sunday. While not as bad as 2019, this is the third instance of extreme melting in the past decade and the scientists say the area of land melting is larger this time. "In the past decade, we've already seen that surface melting in Greenland has become both more severe and more erratic," Thomas Slater, a glaciologist at the University of Leeds told CNN. "As the atmosphere continues to warm over Greenland, events such as yesterday's extreme melting will become more frequent."
https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/29/us/greenland-ice-melting-climate-change/index.html

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
From around 1975 to well into the 21st century:

August 2, 2021

'It's Biblical' — Climate Fueled Destruction Circles The Globe

In recent days, now-houseless survivors of Oregon's Bootleg Fire surveyed their incinerated communities, dozens huddled in a Colorado tunnel seeking shelter from a mudslide, and across the Eastern Hemisphere fires and landslides forced evacuations and took lives.

These, and other, impacts of human-caused climate change come as the U.S. 🦕 Senate considers an infrastructure package largely stripped of its initial ambitions to combat climate change.

"West of the Mississippi we have droughts, fires and smoke, and east of the Mississippi there’s flooding," Anne Golden, whose home was destroyed by the Bootleg Fire, told the New York Times. "It’s biblical. It just feels like the plague and everything else."

In Colorado, mudslides set off by three days of heavy rainfall cascaded down a mountainside burned by the Grizzly Creek wildfire last year. The compound disaster blocked portions of I-70 with boulders and stranded motorists, including more than 100 forced to remain in their cars overnight.

Wildfires, fueled by dry heat linked to climate change, are also raging around the Mediteranian including on the Italian peninsula and in Sicily. In Turkey, "The animals are on fire :o," Kacarlar resident Muzeyyan Kacar told CNN; at least eight people have died in the more than 100 fires across the country. Wildfires and extreme heat also prompted closures and evacuations across Greece.

"Welcome to global warming!" George Papabeis, a Greek-American tourist in Athens told Reuters. Farther East, at least seven people were killed in a landslide in northern India set off by heavy monsoon rains. "I am 58-years-old and I have never seen such a severe flood in my life," Ved Prakash, a resident of Rajouri, told Reuters.

Global climate devastation: NPR; Infrastructure legislation: see coverage below; Bootleg Fire: New York Times $; Colorado: Colorado Public Radio, AP; Mediteranian region: New York Times $; Italy: The Guardian, AP; Turkey: CNN, Axios, AP, The Guardian, AP; Greece: Reuters; India: Reuters

The 🦕🦖 Hydrocarbon 👹 Hellspawn Fossil Fuelers DID THE Clean Energy Inventions suppressing, Climate Trashing, Government corrupting, human health depleting CRIME. Since they have ALWAYS BEEN liars and conscience free crooks 🦀, they are trying to AVOID DOING THE TIME or PAYING THE FINE!  Don't let them get away with it! Pass it on! 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 04:58:13 pm by AGelbert »

+-Recent Topics

Future Earth by AGelbert
March 30, 2022, 12:39:42 pm

Key Historical Events ...THAT YOU MAY HAVE NEVER HEARD OF by AGelbert
March 29, 2022, 08:20:56 pm

The Big Picture of Renewable Energy Growth by AGelbert
March 28, 2022, 01:12:42 pm

Electric Vehicles by AGelbert
March 27, 2022, 02:27:28 pm

Heat Pumps by AGelbert
March 26, 2022, 03:54:43 pm

Defending Wildlife by AGelbert