Total Topics: 271
Most Online Today: 1208
Most Online Ever: 1208
(March 28, 2024, 07:28:27 am)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 994
Total: 994

Author Topic: 🚩 Global Climate Chaos ☠️  (Read 116599 times)

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
BBN: Reopen For ☠️ What
« Reply #2175 on: May 09, 2020, 09:10:24 pm »

BBN: Reopen For What
434 views•May 9, 2020

Black Bear News
2.58K subscribers

#GretaThunberg #ClimateChange #CompassionateDegrowth
#BlackBearNews #PlantTrees #Cicada #Rewild

You can buy my music here: https://sandbloom.bandcamp.com
"CICADA" CLIMATE CHANGE RECORD: http://redllamamusic.com/cicada.htm
T-SHIRTS - http://redllamamusic.com/BlackBear.htm
Watch on Rokfin https://www.rokfin.com/BlackBearNews
Watch on Climate Crush TV: https://frozen.earth/tv/
Twitter @BlackBearNews1
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/blackbearnews
Paypal:  https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr...
Venmo: @KevinSandbloom
Square: https://cash.me/$RedLlamaMusic

Red Llama Music
PO Box 132
So. Pasadena, CA 91031
Category People & Blogs
He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. Matt 10:37

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
Arctic Surprise
« Reply #2176 on: May 12, 2021, 01:53:26 pm »
Agelbert NOTE: This wasn't a surprise to me, but it is good that the true ice decline trend is finally being officially acknowledged.

Arctic surprise

In 2007, IPCC AR4 produced this figure showing projections of changes in Arctic sea ice extent in the summer (July-September). The different colours represent a wide range of different scenarios for future emissions. Observations (1979-2020, added purple line) have decreased far more rapidly than projected in the CMIP3 models used at the time, when plotted on the same scale with the same reference period.

This demonstrates the concept of a climate-related ‘surprise’, or what might have been considered a low-likelihood ;) event at the time.

The original figure is here. Also see Stroeve et al. (2012) for a CMIP5 comparison (Fig. 2a), and Notz et al. (2020) for a CMIP6 comparison (Fig. 2f).

About Ed Hawkins
Climate scientist in the National Centre for Atmospheric Science (NCAS) at the University of Reading. IPCC AR5 Contributing Author. Can be found on twitter too:
http://www.climate-lab-book.ac.uk/2021/arctic-surprise/
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 03:01:25 pm by AGelbert »
He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. Matt 10:37

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
Warming patterns
« Reply #2177 on: May 12, 2021, 02:01:21 pm »
Warming patterns

Global warming does not mean the same amount of warming over the whole globe. There is a distinct spatial pattern to the long-term changes.

The first map below shows the total change in temperature since the early-industrial era, and the second map removes the global average warming to highlight regions of above and below average warming.

The largest warming is seen in the Arctic, and the land regions are clearly warming faster than the ocean. The striking blue area in the North Atlantic is a region of very little warming, and this is due to a decline in the strength of the Atlantic overturning circulation which brings warm water from the tropics to the northern latitudes.

All these features of the warming have been long predicted in climate model simulations, for example in IPCC AR4 and IPCC AR5.

Technical details: spatial pattern of warming uses approach described in Hawkins et al. (2020) using Berkeley Earth dataset, and the changes are relative to 1850-1900.

About Ed Hawkins
Climate scientist in the National Centre for Atmospheric Science (NCAS) at the University of Reading. IPCC AR5 Contributing Author. Can be found on twitter too: @ed_hawkins
http://www.climate-lab-book.ac.uk/2021/warming-patterns/

« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 03:03:19 pm by AGelbert »

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
Huge Spike In Shipping Containers Lost At Sea
« Reply #2178 on: May 14, 2021, 02:40:02 pm »

By Ann Koh (Bloomberg) April 27, 2021

The ONE Apus arrives in Kobe, Japan on December 8, 2020, after losing an estimated 1,816 containers overboard approximately 1,600 nautical miles northwest of Hawaii, USA. Photo courtesy W K Webster and Co.

Huge Spike In Shipping Containers Lost At Sea

SNIPPET:

There are a host of reasons for the sudden rise in accidents. Weather is getting more unpredictable, while ships are growing bigger, allowing for containers to be stacked higher than ever before. But greatly exacerbating the situation is a surge in e-commerce after consumer demand exploded during the pandemic, increasing the urgency for shipping lines to deliver products as quickly as possible.

“The increased movement of containers means that these very large containerships are much closer to full capacity than in the past,” said Clive Reed, founder of Reed Marine Maritime Casualty Management Consultancy. “There is commercial pressure on the ships to arrive on time and consequently make more voyages.”

After gale-force winds and large waves buffeted the 364-meter One Apus in November, causing the loss of more than 1,800 containers, footage showed thousands of steel boxes strewn like Lego pieces onboard, some torn to metal shreds. The incident was the worst since 2013, when the MOL Comfort broke in two and sank with its entire cargo of 4,293 containers into the Indian Ocean.

In January, the Maersk Essen lost about 750 boxes while sailing from Xiamen, China, to Los Angeles. A month later, 260 containers fell off the Maersk Eindhoven when it lost power in heavy seas.

The need for speed is creating precarious conditions that can quickly bring disaster, according to shipping experts. The dangers range from stevedores incorrectly locking boxes on top of one another to captains not deviating from a storm to save on fuel and time as they face pressure from charterers, they said. One wrong move can put cargoes and crew at risk.

Full article: https://gcaptain.com/shipping-containers-lost-at-sea/

Agelbert NOTE: It will get much worse (learn why below).

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
Re: 🚩 Global Climate Chaos ☠️
« Reply #2179 on: May 16, 2021, 03:02:54 pm »
Social tipping points: slouching toward climate salvation

By Marlowe HOOD
Paris (AFP) March 2, 2021

SNIPPET:

Climate action cheerleaders are past masters at stringing together whatever signs of progress are at hand to conjure a glass half full, so good news laundry lists must be viewed skeptically.

There are arguably just as many reasons for pessimism.

Last week UN chief Antonio Guterres noted that -- net-zero promises notwithstanding -- "governments are nowhere close to the level of ambition needed to limit climate change to 1.5 degrees Celsius and meet the goals of the Paris Agreement."

The 2015 treaty calls for capping global warming at "well below" 2C compared to preindustrial levels, and the world is currently on track for double that.

On Tuesday, the International Energy Agency reported that global CO2 emissions have returned to pre-pandemic levels, and then some.

But in all sectors -- energy, industry, geopolitics, finance, public opinion -- a flurry of activity has experts wondering whether the world is, at long last, turning the corner on climate.

"Is the pendulum swinging hard in the right direction? Absolutely," said Gernot Wagner, a climate economist at New York University.

Full article:

https://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Social_tipping_points_slouching_toward_climate_salvation_999.html

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
« Reply #2180 on: May 18, 2021, 10:18:30 pm »
EcoWatch
May. 18, 2021 11:31AM EST
By Oil Change International

IEA's Climate Model Says No More Fossil Fuel Extraction

The IEA has released its first-ever fully-fledged energy scenario that is in line with the urgent goal of limiting global warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius (°C). The scenario has a section titled "Summary for Policymakers" where the IEA outlines, "There is no need for investment in new fossil fuel supply in our net zero pathway."

It's a huge step away from previous ideas pushed by the agency. In the past, the IEA has boosted new oil and gas development, but has begun to join the call from other organizations and advocates to stop the expansion of fossil fuel extraction.

Read more:
https://www.ecowatch.com/international-energy-agency-fossil-fuels-climate-2653023817.html

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
« Reply #2181 on: May 19, 2021, 01:00:26 pm »
Agelbert NOTE: This selected graphic from October 14, 2020 (there's a lot more in the Gallery 🧐) is posted here to remind readers of what the UN has said about OUR GLOBAL Catastrophic Climate Change trajectory. :(

« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 09:43:19 pm by AGelbert »

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
📢 For the seventh year in a row ... 👀
« Reply #2182 on: May 24, 2021, 12:28:08 pm »

May 24, 2021

Ana Is First Named Storm Of 2021 Atlantic Hurricane 'Season'

For the seventh year in a row, a named storm formed before the official start of the Atlantic hurricane season. Subtropical storm Ana formed on Saturday in the Atlantic Ocean northeast of Bermuda and by Sunday evening had weakened to a Tropical Depression and never threatened land. Increases in air and ocean temperatures due to climate change have wide-ranging effects on hurricane precipitation, intensity, and coastal flooding. The recent trend of earlier storms is yet another indication of the effects of climate change on tropical weather systems, scientists say, but more research is needed to definitively link the expansion of hurricane season with climate change. (Washington Post $, Earther, Yale Climate Connections, NPR, Weather Channel, New York Times $, USA Today, CNN; Climate Signals background: Hurricanes)

Agelbert NOTE: The (very recent) past is prologue:
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 09:42:47 pm by AGelbert »

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
« Reply #2183 on: May 27, 2021, 04:30:21 pm »

Make Nexus Hot News part of your morning: click here to subscribe.

May 27, 2021

CYCLONE YAAS: Tens of thousands homeless in eastern India after cyclone batters coast (Reuters, CNN), in pictures: Cyclone Yaas leaves behind a trail of destruction; at least [ten million] people affected (Weather Channel), PM Modi to visit Odisha, Bengal on Friday to review impact of Cyclone Yaas (Hindustan Times), fact check: old video of waves 🌊 engulfing bridge passed off Cyclone Yaas striking Odisha (India Today), reporter asks man why he stepped out during Cyclone Yaas in Odisha. His reply is now a viral video (India Today)

WMO REPORT: Rising global temperatures 🌡️ 'inexorably closer' to climate tipping point - U.N (Reuters, AP, FT $, BBC, NPR)

HEALTH: Climate crisis inflicting huge ‘hidden costs’ on mental health (The Guardian, Thomson Reuters Foundation)

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
CleanTechnica
Support CleanTechnica’s work via donations on Patreon or PayPal!

Or just go buy a cool t-shirt, cup, baby outfit, bag, or hoodie.

By Johnna Crider Published May 29, 2021

Would Louisiana Voters Care If Climate Change Wiped Out South Louisiana?

SNIPPET:

To paraphrase what Boesch previously said, the public feels like the issue is too big for them to do anything about it, so they don’t. It’s a helpless feeling that makes one feel as if any action they may take doesn’t matter — we’re all going to die eventually, so why bother? I’ve seen this attitude in my own community and circle of friends. Tossing a piece of plastic on the ground with an awkward laugh, “It’s just a piece of paper. No big deal.”

Growing up in a culture that mocked people for caring about the environment, I used to think it was cool to litter. The toxicity of this culture dictated that if you care, you’re dumb.

Full article:
https://cleantechnica.com/2021/05/29/would-louisiana-voters-care-if-climate-change-wiped-out-south-louisiana/

Agelbert NOTE: The comments are even better than this excellent article filled with hard truths.

Learn 🚩 more: 🤦‍♂️
Louisiana Is Sinking A handful of cities in the Bayou State have lost significant elevation over the past three decades.
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/articles/2019-07-18/louisiana-is-sinking-national-geodetic-survey-finds

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution

Hot House Earth

5,806 views•May 6, 2021

Facing Future
19.5K subscribers

"Trajectories of the Earth System in the Anthropocene", a recent study co-authored by Will Steffen, noted chemist, climate systems analyst, and professor of Earth System Science at Australian National University, warns of catastrophic changes to the Earth climate if current emission trends are not immediately reversed.

The #HotHouseEarth scenario — an existential crisis in which fundamental climate systems, and the ecosystems that rely on them, are irreversibly altered — is not only possible, but likely, if current trajectories persist.  We will then enter a new geological age, perhaps we can call it the #Idiocene!

#TippingPoints lead to #TippingCascades, and the resulting failure of inter-twined systems leading to systemic collapse.  While it is already too late to fully reverse the impact of the humanity's Anthropocene foolishness and greed, the current geological age characterized by human activity,  it is still possible to 'guide' the climate trajectory toward a new stabilized Earth system.  But the window of opportunity to reach this goal is closing fast. Achieving it will require huge and pro-active changes to human economy, culture and politics.

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution

June 18, 2021

Belgium Court Declares Inadequate Climate Policy a Human Rights Violation

BY Andrea Germanos, Common Dreams

SNIPPET:

According to the Guardian: “By not taking all ‘necessary measures’ to prevent the ‘detrimental’ effects of climate change, the court said, Belgian authorities had breached the right to life (article 2) and the right to respect for private and family life (article 8 )” of the European Convention on Human Rights.

The federal government and those of three regions — the Brussels-Capital, the Flemish, and the Walloon regions — had “not behaved as generally prudent and diligent authorities, which constitutes an offense,” reported Agence France-Presse.

In an explanation of the legal action on its website, Klimaatzaak references a 2019 ruling from the Supreme Court of the Netherlands:
This lawsuit is necessary because temperature records continue to be broken, because flooding is becoming more frequent… but above all because there is no real Belgian climate policy. We’ve seen in the Netherlands that this can be enforced via legal action: the Dutch climate organization Urgenda won a similar case that has led to an ambitious climate law.

Full article:
https://truthout.org/articles/belgium-court-says-inadequate-climate-policy-constitutes-human-rights-violation/

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution

Extinction Rebellion protesters block the roads outside the Bank of England on Oct. 14, 2019 in London, England. John Keeble / Getty Images

Legal Experts Define Ecocide, Take Step Toward International Criminal Law

By  Kaitlin Sullivan Jun. 23, 2021

SNIPPET:

The draft defines ecocide as, "unlawful or wanton acts committed with knowledge that there is a substantial likelihood of severe and widespread or long-term damage to the environment being caused by those acts." If adopted by the ICC, those accused of ecocide would be tried in the same court as war crimes, crimes against humanity, genocide and the crime of aggression, said The Guardian.

The proposal and definition came less than a month after a groundbreaking case in which a Dutch court held Royal Dutch Shell liable for its contributions to climate change, and a growing number of world leaders have pushed for ecocide to be recognized as a crime. The Pope has even proposed making it a sin for Catholics, Inside Climate News reports.

According to CNBC, ecocide, "is an umbrella term for all forms of the mass damage of ecosystems, from industrial pollution to the release of micro plastics into the oceans," and the exact definition has been debated since the early 1970s. Now that a definition is in place, activists hope the next step is holding people, companies and governments accountable for environmental destruction that ultimately harms humans.

Full article:
 https://www.ecowatch.com/ecocide-legal-definition-2653504743.html

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution

Jun 29, 2021

Melting Cables, Buckled Roads As Northwest 🌡️ 😓 Heatwave 🥵 Peaks

Another day, another cascade of high temperature records broken across the Pacific Northwest as a heatwave unlike any in recent memory continued into a third day. In Washington, Oregon, and British Columbia, all-time records were broken in many places for the third consecutive day: In Portland, highs topped out at 116°F on Monday afternoon, obliterating Sunday’s record of 112°, which itself was a jump from the historic high of 107° set in August 1981. Temperatures at Seattle’s Sea-Tac airport were measured at 108°, topping Sunday’s 104°.

The effects of 72 hours of extraordinary heat showed themselves in dramatic ways Monday. In Portland, the light rail and streetcar systems were suspended as the grid felt the strain – in some cases, literally, as power cables melted in the sun.

Multnomah County, where Portland is located, reported a spike in heat-related emergency and urgent care visits as residents sought relief.

Roads across the region buckled as asphalt and concrete expanded and c r a c k e d due to high temperatures; the Seattle Parks Department closed one indoor public pool because air temperatures in the facility were so high as to be unsafe for visitors.

At Amazon’s largely un-air conditioned warehouse complex south of Seattle, some workers were kept on the job throughout Monday, even as others were sent home with pay following reports on Sunday that departments were running “power hours,” encouraging workers to move as quickly as possible for an hour to increase productivity.

Residents experienced scattered blackouts, with around 30,000 outages reported in Washington and Oregon Monday evening.

Heat waves kill more people on average in the U.S. than any other weather-related event, and are expected to continue to become increasingly frequent and severe with the effects of climate change. “We are not meant for this,” Washington Gov. Jay Inslee told MSNBC. “This is the beginning of a permanent emergency ... we have to tackle the source of this problem, which is climate change.” (Reuters, MSNBC, AP, K5 News, Bloomberg, The Oregonian, Seattle Times, New York Times $, Washington Post $, Washington Post $, CNN, CNN, CBS, HuffPost, Gizmodo, MIT Technology Review, Scientific American, 770 KTTH, Axios; Photos: Axios)

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution

+-Recent Topics

Future Earth by AGelbert
March 30, 2022, 12:39:42 pm

Key Historical Events ...THAT YOU MAY HAVE NEVER HEARD OF by AGelbert
March 29, 2022, 08:20:56 pm

The Big Picture of Renewable Energy Growth by AGelbert
March 28, 2022, 01:12:42 pm

Electric Vehicles by AGelbert
March 27, 2022, 02:27:28 pm

Heat Pumps by AGelbert
March 26, 2022, 03:54:43 pm

Defending Wildlife by AGelbert