Total Topics: 271
Most Online Today: 119
Most Online Ever: 1155
(April 20, 2021, 12:50:06 pm)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 25
Total: 25

Author Topic: Geothermal Power  (Read 5931 times)

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
Re: Geothermal Power
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2016, 06:06:32 pm »
Midwestern geothermal greenhouse provides local citrus year round for $1 a day   

Melissa Breyer (@MelissaBreyer)
Science / Sustainable Agriculture
 February 12, 2016

Tiny tiger on the hunt in the tropics of a Nebraska Greenhouse

Greenhouse in the Snow, built by a former mailman, grows an abundance of local produce high on the Nebraska plains.

"We can grow the best citrus in the world, right here on the high plains,” says Russ Finch, the former mailman (pictured above) who is the creative superstar genius responsible for building the Greenhouse in the Snow. And he can do it spending only $1 a day in energy costs.   

For Midwesterners (and many of the rest of us) produce in the winter means things imported form warmer climes or grown in greenhouses, which typically have a prodigious hunger for energy and are fed by burning fossil fuels.

But by harnessing the Earth's natural internal heat to warm a greenhouse, oranges and other tropical treats thrive without the waste and pollution typically found in so much agriculture. Finch’s structure is a take on a walipini – a brilliant design that TreeHugger has written about (and which remains one of our most popular posts: Build a $300 underground greenhouse for year-round gardening).

As Grant Gerlock writes at NPR, the floor is dug 4 feet below the surface, the roof is slanted toward the south to harness as much sun as it can. In the daytime it can warm well into the 80s (F) inside, but at night the temperature drops, which is when the geothermal heat is called in.

"All we try to do is keep it above 28F degrees in the winter," Finch says. "We have no backup system for heat. The only heat source is the Earth's heat, at 52F degrees at 8-foot deep."

Which is good enough for the oranges, and all kinds of other delicacies.  ;D

"Any type of plant we saw, we would put it in and see what it could do. We didn't baby anything," Finch says. "We just put it in and if it died, it died. But most everything really grows well. We can grow practically any tropical plant."

"There have been hardly any successful 12-month greenhouses on the northern High Plains because of the weather," Finch adds. "The cost of energy is too high for it. But by tapping into the Earth's heat, we've been able to drastically reduce the cost."

Finch grows a few hundred pounds of fruit each year to sell at local farmers markets, notes Gerlock, but his main business is selling the design for his greenhouse in the snow. And while a new greenhouse costs $22,000 to build, the beauty of running them is kind of priceless. To date, 17 of his designs have been built in the U.S. and Canada – we hope to see many more.

Changing the world one orange-grown-in-the-winter-in-Nebraska at a time? Bring it on!   

Watch the charming Mr. FInch (and cat!   ) in a tour of the greenhouse in the video below.

http://www.treehugger.com/sustainable-agriculture/midwestern-geothermal-greenhouse-provides-local-citrus-year-round.html
He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. Matt 10:37

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2016, 03:16:03 pm »

David Suzuki: Tapping Earth’s Abundant Geothermal Energy

Dr. David Suzuki  | March 31, 2016 1:06 pm

In the midst of controversy over BC’s Peace River Site C dam project, the Canadian Geothermal Energy Association released a study showing the province could get the same amount of energy more affordably from geothermal sources for about half the construction costs. Unlike Site C, geothermal wouldn’t require massive transmission upgrades, would be less environmentally disruptive and would create more jobs throughout the province rather than just in one area.

Despite the many benefits of geothermal, Canada is the only “Pacific Ring of Fire” country that doesn’t use it for commercial-scale energy. According to DeSmogBlog, “New Zealand, Indonesia, the Philippines, the U.S. and Mexico all have commercial geothermal plants.”
Iceland heats up to 90 percent of its homes and supplies 25 percent of its electricity, with geothermal.

Geothermal energy is generated by heat from Earth’s rocks, liquids and steam. It can come from shallow ground, where the temperature is a steady 10 to 16 C, hot water and rocks deeper in the ground or possibly very hot molten rock (magma) deep below Earth’s surface. As with clean-energy sources like solar, geothermal energy systems vary, from those that use hot water from the ground directly to heat buildings, greenhouses and water, to those that pump underground hot water or steam to drive turbines. The David Suzuki Foundation’s Vancouver and Montreal offices use geothermal.

According to National Geographic, geothermal power plants use three methods to produce electricity: dry steam, flash steam and binary cycle. Dry steam uses steam from fractures in the ground. “Flash plants pull deep, high-pressure hot water into cooler, low-pressure water,” which creates steam. In binary plants, which produce no greenhouse gas emissions and will likely become dominant, “hot water is passed by a secondary fluid with a much lower boiling point,” which turns the secondary fluid into vapor.

Unlike wind and solar,
geothermal provides steady energy and can serve as a more cost-effective and less environmentally damaging form of baseload power than fossil fuels or nuclear.
It’s not entirely without environmental impacts, but most are minor and can be overcome with good planning and siting. Geothermal fluids can contain gases and heavy metals, but most new systems recycle them back into the ground. Operations should also be located to avoid mixing geothermal liquids with groundwater and to eliminate impacts on nearby natural features like hot springs. Some geothermal plants can produce small amounts of CO2, but binary systems are emissions-free. In some cases, resources that provide heat can become depleted over time.

Although geothermal potential has been constrained by the need to locate operations in areas with high volcanic activity, geysers or hot springs, new developments are making it more widely viable. One controversial method being tested is similar to “fracking” for oil and gas. Water is injected into a well with enough pressure to break rock and release heat to produce hot water and steam to generate power through a turbine or binary system.

Researchers have also been studying urban “heat islands” as sources of geothermal energy. Urban areas are warmer than their rural surroundings, both above and below ground, because of the effects of buildings, basements and sewage and water systems. Geothermal pumps could make the underground energy available to heat buildings in winter and cool them in summer.

New methods of getting energy from the ground could also give geothermal a boost. Entrepreneur Manoj Bhargava is working with researchers to bring heat to the surface using graphene cords rather than steam or hot water. Graphene is stronger than steel and conducts heat well. Bhargava says the technology would be simple to develop and could be integrated with existing power grids.

Unfortunately, geothermal hasn’t received the same level of government support as other sources of energy, including fossil fuels and nuclear. That’s partly because upfront costs are high and, as with oil and gas exploration, geothermal sources aren’t always located where developers hope they’ll be. As DeSmogBlog notes, resources are often found in areas that already have access to inexpensive hydro power.

Rapid advancements in renewable-energy and power-grid technologies could put the world on track to a mix of clean sources fairly quickly—which is absolutely necessary to curtail global warming. Geothermal energy should be part of that mix. 

http://ecowatch.com/2016/03/31/suzuki-geothermal-energy/

Agelbert COMMENT: Of course. There is absolutely no excuse for the wasteful way that homes are heated and cooled now. There is no need to waste electricity that is often generated from polluting energy reSources or even hydropower.

Agelbert COMMENT: Of course. Every home that has running water all over the earth can, without wasting water, use geothermal energy without expensive coils placed several feet down. The water pipe infrastructure was paid for by we-the-people and is an untapped cheap and inexhaustible source of heating or cooling energy. Water temperature in the pipes is always several degrees cooler in summer and several degrees warmer in winter.

David, I have designed a computer program to make use of that energy. Of course, putting a heat pump in the process loop would be advisable for winter (in order to extract 72 degrees F from 45 degree F water). But for summer, it could be done without a heat pump. Some small expense would be required for a gray waste tank, valves, temperature sensors and the software. But that would be orders of magnitude cheaper than home geothermal infrastructure now and within the reach of even the poor who own homes and all the middle class.

Dr. Suzuki, If you are interested in this unpatented process, please contact me at anthonyg154@gmail.com (I will give you, and you only, all the details free).

This is my web site forum:

Renewable Revolution
He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. Matt 10:37

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2016, 08:14:06 pm »
Geothermal Energy in Iceland

Volcanos Producing Energy 

The use of geothermal energy in Iceland must be the most inventive, progressive and eco-friendly energy system in the world.

They have five major geothermal power plants, which produce approximately 26% of the nation's energy. In addition, geothermal heating meets the heating and hot water requirements of approximately 87% of all buildings in Iceland.

Apart from geothermal energy, 75% of the nation’s electricity is generated by hydro power, and 0.1% from fossil fuels.

All of this energy: hydro and geothermal, is brought online without producing any air pollution or greenhouse gases.

It has been estimated that using geothermal for space heating instead of fossil fuels saves the country of Iceland annually about 100 million US dollars in imported oil.  ;D

Iceland’s state-owned energy company, Landsvirkjun, is considering construction of the world’s longest underwater electric cable so they can sell their vast geothermal and volcanic energy to the European market. 

--Bibi Farber

http://www.nextworldtv.com/videos/energy/geothermal-energy-in-iceland.html#sthash.OmMli6Ky.dpuf

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2017, 06:56:16 pm »
Australian firm plans nation's largest geothermal plant in Imperial Valley  ;D

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-geothermal-salton-sea-20170114-story.html

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2017, 07:09:27 pm »

Volcanos Producing Energy

The use of geothermal energy in Iceland must be the most inventive, progressive and eco-friendly energy system in the world.

They have five major geothermal power plants, which produce approximately 26% of the nation's energy. In addition, geothermal heating meets the heating and hot water requirements of approximately 87% of all buildings in Iceland.

Apart from geothermal energy, 75% of the nation's electricity is generated by hydro power, and 0.1% from fossil fuels.

All of this energy: hydro and geothermal, is brought online without producing any air pollution or greenhouse gases.

It has been estimated that using geothermal for space heating instead of fossil fuels saves the country of Iceland annually about 100 million US dollars in imported oil.

Iceland's state-owned energy company, Landsvirkjun, is considering construction of the world's longest underwater electric cable so they can sell their vast geothermal and volcanic energy to the European market

--Bibi Farber

http://www.nextworldtv.com/videos/energy/geothermal-energy-in-iceland.html

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2017, 02:40:32 pm »

Scientists Discover Extreme Geothermal Activity in New Zealand's South Island  ;D

May 19, 2017

By Renewable Energy World Editors      geothermal

University of Otago yesterday said that a collaboration by scientists who drilled about a half-mile into the Alpine Fault of New Zealand’s South Island has revealed surprisingly high temperatures and the potential for large geothermal resources in the area.

The Deep Fault Drilling Project, jointly led by Victoria University of Wellington, GNS Science and the University of Otago, was carried out in 2014 in New Zealand’s Westland Province, north of Franz Josef Glacier.

According to University of Otago, the site was drilled by a team of more than 100 scientists from 12 countries, who were working to understand how earthquakes occur on geological faults.

The results of the project, published yesterday in Nature, discuss the site’s geothermal gradient—a measure of how fast the temperature increases going deeper beneath the earth's surface.

The project team discovered water at about 2,000 feet depth that was hot enough to boil. Similar geothermal temperatures are normally found at depths greater than two miles, the university said.

Warren Gilbertson, chief operating officer of the charitable trust Development West Coast, said in a May 18 statement that the discovery could transform the economy and resilience of Westland, and provide a significant clean energy resource that could be developed using local people and equipment.

"The location of geothermal activity and its possible benefit and association to the dairy and tourism sectors provide real opportunities from an economic perspective,” Gilbertson said.

Additional exploration and drilling will be needed to assess the economic potential.

http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/articles/2017/05/scientists-discover-extreme-geothermal-activity-in-new-zealand-s-south-island.html

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2017, 02:28:47 pm »

11 Oct 2017

Hamburg successfully tests aquifer heat storage system 

... to replace a coal plant and which can provide heat to 8,000 households in winter, ...

https://www.cleanenergywire.org/news/climate-targets-grave-danger-union-wants-energiewende-ministry/hamburg-successfully-tests-aquifer-heat-storage-system

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2018, 02:05:32 pm »
St. Patrick’s 🍀 Cathedral In New York City Goes Green With $35 Million Geothermal Installation ✨

March 19th, 2018 by Steve Hanley

St. Patrick’s Cathedral on New York’s Fifth Avenue is undergoing a $200 million renovation. Part of that upgrade is a new $35 million geothermal heating and cooling system that replaces the steam boiler and air conditioning system installed nearly 60 years ago. The new system is expected to reduce the cost of heating and cooling the 76,000 square foot cathedral and surrounding campus by about a third, which will also keep about 94,000 kilograms of carbon dioxide out of the skies over New York City every year.

geothermal heating and cooling system St. Patrick's Cathedral Credit: Murphy Burnham & Buttrick Architects

Sustainable And Cost Effective

“It was not only the most sustainable, cost-effective, long-term energy option for the cathedral, but the option that best aligns with the greater good of New York, and not just today, but for generations to come,” Monsignor Robert T. Ritchie, the rector of St. Patrick’s Cathedral, tells the New York Times.  Jeffrey Murphy, leader of the team from Murphy Burnham & Buttrick Architects that is overseeing the entire renovation, adds this insight: “If you are an institution that isn’t going to be here for hundreds of years, you may do something less expensive. But if you are interested in sustainability, and you are interested in the long haul, it is a great system.”

The heart of the geothermal system is a collection of 10 wells 8″ in diameter drilled into the bedrock beneath the cathedral. The deepest of the wells goes down 2,200 feet. They feed groundwater at a constant 55º F into a complex jumble of pipes, condensers, and compressors that fit inside the cathedral’s former boiler room. The designers weren’t entirely sure the system would be capable of handling all the heating and cooling needs of the campus, so they included a conventional cooling tower and gas fired furnace as a backup, just in case. But during the year the system has been in place, it has kept up with the hottest summer weather and coldest winter temperatures without assistance.

One of the requirements for the geothermal system was that the outer and inner appearance of the cathedral not be altered in any discernible way. The diocese of New York hopes the switch to geothermal will inspire curators of other historic buildings in the city to follow suit, something they would not be inclined to do if it meant changing the look of their buildings.

Geothermal Is Not For Everyone

Geothermal is not a magic cure for all older buildings, however. The General Theological Seminary, the Episcopal seminary in Chelsea on Manhattan’s west side, began experimenting with a geothermal system in 2005 but ended up using it for only about a quarter of its needs. “If you don’t take into consideration the cost of machinery and the maintenance over an 80-year period, sure, it’s a great deal,” says the Very Rev. Kurt H. Dunkle, the seminary’s dean and president. “But when you take into consideration that the submerged pumps have to be pulled out and maintained and sometimes changed out, for us it made less economic sense than any projection ever described.”

Reverend Dunkle’s reservations may sound familiar to those considering the purchase of an electric car. The technology is changing fast and what is state of the art today may be hopelessly out of date in a few years’ time.

An Audacious Plan

New York City is a strong proponent of geothermal systems and uses them in several facilities managed by the city, including the Queens Botanical Garden, the Brooklyn Children’s Museum, and the lion house at the Bronx Zoo. Cornell University has a new technology campus on Roosevelt Island which relies on a geothermal system.

Jeffrey Murphy lauds the diocese for choosing to convert to a geothermal system as part of its renovation program. “I think it really showed a profound sense of optimism and in some ways audaciousness,” he says, “that this venerable institution would consider geothermal technology for their building.” Celebrating traditions that reach back in time more than two thousand years is no reason not to leverage the most modern technology available to protect an historic landmark and serve the needs of the parishioners and visitors to the cathedral while making the surrounding community more sustainable.

Geothermal For Residential Applications

Geothermal technology is not limited to large buildings like St. Patrick’s Cathedral and commercial structures. All the benefits it provides for large energy users apply equally well to residential use as well. Researchers at Oak Ridge National Laboratory say they have invented a new pump for geothermal systems that is 50% more efficient. In fact, new techniques don’t require drilling holes in the earth at all. Instead, trenches as little as 4 feet deep can provide many of the same benefits as groundwater systems. Before installing a new boiler or air conditioning system, you may want to explore the benefits that a residential geothermal system could provide for your own home.

Hat Tip to Steve MacAusland of Rhode Island Interfaith Power & Light. 🌟

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/03/19/st-patricks-cathedral-new-york-city-goes-green-35-million-geothermal-installation/

Agelbert COMMENT: Passive, as well as active geothermal should have been subsidized by the US government for the last century instead of fossil fuels. If that had been the case, a lot of the environmental problems we have would not be so intractable.

A lot of wars would have been avoided.

AND, a lot of degraded democracy and profit over planet government corruption by the fossil fuel fascists would never have assaulted we-the-people.

Active high temperature  geothermal is also far more efficient than nuclear power plants, as well as not having the radioactive waste endlless pollution cost problem. The steam trubines used in active geothermal are exactly the same ones used at nuclear power plants, with the same temperature handling features (about 600° C).

It is never too late to build these geothermal power plants in the hot spots the US has (both in the lower 48 and Alaska) with massive electrical transmission lines going to every city in the USA. That, plus wind and solar, along with storage, would totally eliminate the use of fossil fuels for fuel, since all transportation and heating could be electricity powered). We would still need hydrocarbons for lubricants, but their use as lubricants is justified because that does not increase global warming.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 06:42:25 pm by AGelbert »

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2018, 03:06:45 pm »
Mount Spurr, Alska

Alaska looking to tap into wealth 💵 of geothermal resources in volcanic 🌋 hot-zones.

By Parker O'Halloran

14 Jun 2017

SNIPPET:

Experts believe that if fully exploited across the United States, geothermal resources could supply about a quarter of the entire US populations’ power needs. “High prices and climate change are definitely creating a renaissance in geothermal interest, particularly on a state and local level” – says Karl Gawell, executive director of the Geothermal Energy Association, adding that the projects currently underway are merely the “tip of the iceberg.” “If we really want to go all out for it, we could easily achieve a substantial amount; 20, 25 per cent of US energy needs within a few decades. We’re limited more by public policy than the resource – the resource is enormous.

Full article:

http://www.thinkgeoenergy.com/alaska-plans-to-evaluate-and-explore-its-geothermal-potential/
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 06:41:46 pm by AGelbert »

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2018, 10:10:39 pm »
Agelbert NOTE: Two years old but even more pertinent now.

Midwestern geothermal greenhouse provides local citrus year round for $1 a day   

Melissa Breyer (@MelissaBreyer)
Science / Sustainable Agriculture
 February 12, 2016

Tiny tiger on the hunt in the tropics of a Nebraska Greenhouse

Greenhouse in the Snow, built by a former mailman, grows an abundance of local produce high on the Nebraska plains.

"We can grow the best citrus in the world, right here on the high plains,” says Russ Finch, the former mailman (pictured above) who is the creative superstar genius responsible for building the Greenhouse in the Snow. And he can do it spending only $1 a day in energy costs.   

For Midwesterners (and many of the rest of us) produce in the winter means things imported form warmer climes or grown in greenhouses, which typically have a prodigious hunger for energy and are fed by burning fossil fuels.

But by harnessing the Earth's natural internal heat to warm a greenhouse, oranges and other tropical treats thrive without the waste and pollution typically found in so much agriculture. Finch’s structure is a take on a walipini – a brilliant design that TreeHugger has written about (and which remains one of our most popular posts: Build a $300 underground greenhouse for year-round gardening).

As Grant Gerlock writes at NPR, the floor is dug 4 feet below the surface, the roof is slanted toward the south to harness as much sun as it can. In the daytime it can warm well into the 80s (F) inside, but at night the temperature drops, which is when the geothermal heat is called in.

"All we try to do is keep it above 28F degrees in the winter," Finch says. "We have no backup system for heat. The only heat source is the Earth's heat, at 52F degrees at 8-foot deep."

Which is good enough for the oranges, and all kinds of other delicacies.  ;D

"Any type of plant we saw, we would put it in and see what it could do. We didn't baby anything," Finch says. "We just put it in and if it died, it died. But most everything really grows well. We can grow practically any tropical plant."

"There have been hardly any successful 12-month greenhouses on the northern High Plains because of the weather," Finch adds. "The cost of energy is too high for it. But by tapping into the Earth's heat, we've been able to drastically reduce the cost."

Finch grows a few hundred pounds of fruit each year to sell at local farmers markets, notes Gerlock, but his main business is selling the design for his greenhouse in the snow. And while a new greenhouse costs $22,000 to build, the beauty of running them is kind of priceless. To date, 17 of his designs have been built in the U.S. and Canada – we hope to see many more.

Changing the world one orange-grown-in-the-winter-in-Nebraska at a time? Bring it on!   

Watch the charming Mr. FInch (and cat!   ) in a tour of the greenhouse in the video below.

http://www.treehugger.com/sustainable-agriculture/midwestern-geothermal-greenhouse-provides-local-citrus-year-round.html
that is a really cool post. I love my hoophouse but it's only for season extention. I'll build a walipini someday...
Thanks David

You are very welcome, David.  Please feel free to post about any project of yours here.

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2018, 05:20:34 pm »
Geo Exchange

Geo Exchange is a system of heating and cooling that uses water and ground loops to use the earth as a heat sink or heat source in the winter.  It also sinks heat into the ground in the summer, as well as heating your hot water year round.

The environmental benefits are that this system is non-polluting, has no exhaust emissions, reduced CO2 emissions, and requires a smaller amount of  both power and refrigerant than conventional systems.

The annual savings are about 60% over conventional heating and cooling costs.

A proud homeowner explains the system in this video. 👍 😎

Water is circulated through polyethylene pipes in closed loops that are installed below the ground. The loops are connected to an extended range water source heat pump.

The environmental benefits are that this system is non-polluting, has no exhaust emissions, reduced CO2 emissions and requires a smaller amount of both power and refrigerant than conventional systems.

The upfront capital costs for a geo exchange system are 35-40% more, but annual savings with a system like this are about 60% over conventional heating and cooling costs. The payback for the system in this video was 6 years, and now the owner is making money on it.

--Bibi Farber

This video was produced by Fair Companies

http://www.nextworldtv.com/page/1736.html

NextWorldTV.com

P.S. Please share NextworldTV.com emails and videos with your friends and colleagues.

That's how we grow. Thanks.

Next World TV
PO Box 145
Tivoli NY

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2019, 05:40:18 pm »
July 18th, 2019 by Steve Hanley   

Image courtesy NREL

« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 06:43:27 pm by AGelbert »

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
Where Is All The Geothermal Energy?
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2019, 05:43:00 pm »
Where Is All The Geothermal Energy?

Real Engineering
Published on Aug 31, 2019
Be one of the first 500 people to sign up with this link and get 20% off your subscription with Brilliant.org! https://brilliant.org/realengineering/

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
Geothermal 🤠 DIY
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2021, 06:55:05 pm »
Geothermal diy #1
137,745 views Nov 14, 2017

Larry shea

1.34K subscribers

Build your own basic GeoThermal closed loop earth recirculating system for under $800.00. This system has 300' of pressurized 3/4 inch polyethylene geoloop underground

GeoThermal DIY #2
15,535 views Jan 31, 2020

Larry shea
1.34K subscribers

Build your own basic GeoThermal closed loop earth recirculating system for under $800.00. This system has 300' of pressurized 3/4 inch polypropylene geoloop underground.

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
Geothermal Drilling: U.S. DOE Announces $20 Million To Lower Costs Of Geothermal Drilling

February 5, 2022 By U.S. Department of Energy

Drilling Efficiency Demonstrations Will Set the Stage for Transferring Lab Technology to the Marketplace

WASHINGTON, D.C. — The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) today announced up to $20 million in funding to lower the cost of developing geothermal energy by demonstrating faster drilling technologies to shorten the time it takes to develop projects overall. DOE is looking to dramatically lower the cost of geothermal drilling — which can exceed 50% of a project’s total costs. Projects selected for drilling demonstrations will spur further investment in geothermal energy, which can be a critical source of zero-carbon energy that’s available around the clock year-round. This initiative advances President Biden’s goals to support fossil energy communities that are building upon their existing energy infrastructure to drive innovation and economic growth in emerging zero-carbon industries.

“There is incredible, untapped potential to use the heat beneath our feet to meet our energy demands with a renewable source that can be found in all pockets of this country,” said U.S. Secretary of Energy Jennifer M. Granholm. “Not only is the use of geothermal energy a significant asset for reaching a carbon-free grid by 2035, it can drive the creation of good paying jobs in energy communities as the country transitions to cleaner, more reliable energy sources.”

The Drilling Demos initiative, led by DOE’s Geothermal Technologies Office (GTO), builds upon DOE advancements in geothermal drilling technologies that streamline drilling time and improve penetration rates in laboratory. Demonstrations within this latest initiative will accelerate the transfer of geothermal drilling advancements from the laboratory to the marketplace.

WATCH: Deputy Assistant Secretary for Renewable Power Alejandro Moreno explains the process for geothermal drilling and how the Drilling Demos initiative will streamline it.

GTO seeks applications from drilling services providers, well service companies, research institutions, geothermal operators and developers, and other entities that can provide real-world, immediate solutions to address the goal of increasing the average daily drilling penetration rates for geothermal wells. Entities that control well access and operations — both commercial and government-funded — are encouraged to apply. Join GTO’s Drilling Demos Teaming Partner List to connect with prospective team members.

Letters of intent are due by April 4, and full applications are due June 3. Learn more about the Drilling Demos initiative.

Courtesy of Energy.Gov

https://cleantechnica.com/2022/02/05/geothermal-drilling-u-s-doe-announces-20-million-to-lower-costs-of-geothermal-drilling/

Harry Johnson
The map shows a ridiculously large area of red and dark orange favorable geothermal resources. Oil drillers record the temperature at the base of a well regardless if they hit oil or gas. Drilling for geothermal power can replace expensive gas peaker plants and aging out nuclear plants. It has the highest capacity factor, even better than nuclear.
The 1,205 MW Geysers Geothermal Complex in California has been producing power since 1960. Geothermal is a no-brainer.

agelbert > Harry Johnson
👍👍👍 Well said.

+-Recent Topics

Future Earth by AGelbert
March 30, 2022, 12:39:42 pm

Key Historical Events ...THAT YOU MAY HAVE NEVER HEARD OF by AGelbert
March 29, 2022, 08:20:56 pm

The Big Picture of Renewable Energy Growth by AGelbert
March 28, 2022, 01:12:42 pm

Electric Vehicles by AGelbert
March 27, 2022, 02:27:28 pm

Heat Pumps by AGelbert
March 26, 2022, 03:54:43 pm

Defending Wildlife by AGelbert