Total Topics: 271
Most Online Today: 1186
Most Online Ever: 1186
(March 28, 2024, 06:27:38 am)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 1045
Total: 1045

Author Topic: Magnetic Gears  (Read 867 times)

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
Magnetic Gears
« on: June 15, 2018, 05:27:13 pm »
CleanTechnica
Support CleanTechnica’s work via donations on Patreon or PayPal!

Or just go buy a cool t-shirt, cup, baby outfit, bag, or hoodie.

Magnetic Gears Reduce Cost Of Wind Turbines & Wave Power

June 11th, 2018 by Steve Hanley

Transmissions are not sexy but they are essential to many mechanical devices. They allow components that turn at different speeds to work together. For instance, the blades of a wind turbine are not connected directly to the electrical generator inside. A transmission takes the relatively low rotational speed of the blades and steps it up to the higher RPMs needed to spin the generator fast enough to make electricity. Gears are the secret sauce inside any transmission. They are fairly reliable but if one breaks, it can be expensive to repair. And if it is located high on a wind turbine pylon or deep undersea in a wave power device, getting access to it to make a repair can be difficult.

magnetic gears Credit: Texas A&M

At Texas A&M, doctoral student Matthew Gardner is working on way to replace mechanical gears with magnetic ones. If he is successful, smaller, lighter, and less expensive transmissions that transmit power more efficiently will be the result. His research is being watched carefully by several companies, including ABB, the global technology company headquartered in Switzerland.

Magnetic gears require less maintenance, create less acoustical noise and vibrations and are more durable than mechanical gears. If too much power is applied to a conventional gear, it breaks but when excess power is applied to a magnetic gear, it simply slips with no mechanical damage. In essence, it acts like a clutch built into the transmission that can absorb spikes in the load applied without breaking.

“Magnetic gears drew my interest because they represent a potentially disruptive innovation in the field of electric machines,” Gardner says. “Much of the research in electric machines represents incremental improvements on the technology that has been developed over the last few hundred years.”

One of the projects Gardner is working on is building a transmission for a wave energy generator. Ocean waves can have enormous spikes in energy. The transmission has to be able to absorb high torque loads over and over again reliably. By definition, repairing a broken component that is mounted underwater is a daunting and expensive job. “Our analysis found that using a magnetically geared generator would be about 50 percent smaller, 50 percent lighter and 25 percent less expensive than using a generator without any gearing for this wave energy application,” Gardner says.

In collaboration with the US Department of Energy and ABB, he has constructed a prototype transmission with magnetic gears that can handle up to 4000 newton meters of torque. 👀 Most magnetic gearing solutions to date are limited to about 150 newton meters of torque. Converting to pounds feet — the measurement of torque most of us are familiar with — 4000 newton meters is equivalent to 3000 pounds feet — nearly four times more than a Tesla Model S P100D.

“I am excited about the opportunity to make a disruptive change in the field of electric machines,” Gardner said. “Magnetic gears and magnetically geared machines offer the possibility to provide a significant, not just incremental, improvement in systems involving electric machines.” Anything that lowers the initial costs and ongoing maintenance expense of renewable energy systems is a welcome step forward on the road to eliminating carbon and other harmful emissions from fossil fueled generating plants. Lower renewable costs will also make nuclear power unprofitable. With magnetic gears, 100% renewable energy becomes a more realistic possibility.   

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/06/11/magnetic-gears-reduce-cost-of-wind-turbines-wave-power/

Agelbert COMMENT: I have always loved the magnetic gear concept. I imagine it has not gained more traction (pun intented 😎) due to the force needed for many applications. Nevertheless, I can see where a slow rotating giant transmission can make use of magnetic gears effectively, thereby saving millions of dollars in lubricant, while prolonging the life of the transmission itself simply because the "gears" never wear out.

I think transmissions on ships could benefit from magnetic gears as well. The less lubricants, particularly fossil fuel based lubricants, needed, the better!

]

He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. Matt 10:37

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
Re: Magnetic Gears
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 03:19:25 pm »
2019 Hyundai Ioniq preview

Aaron Cole

Jun 14, 2018

The 2019 Hyundai Ioniq returns this year as an inexpensive alternative for green car shoppers on a budget. 😎

Its lineup has fully matured now; the Ioniq is available as an affordable hybrid, a slightly more expensive plug-in hybrid, or a fully electric model available in limited areas. We say: green, greener, or greenest—no bad pick.

The most notable change for the Ioniq this year is the addition of standard automatic emergency braking on the Hybrid SEL, the bread-and-butter trim level that likely starts at just more than $25,000 (Hyundai hasn't yet announced pricing for the 2019 models). The SEL trim level includes heated front seats, 16-inch wheels, power-adjustable driver's seat, and LED daytime lights.

Value-minded buyers can find nearly as many features for less money, however. Likely starting around $23,000, the base 2019 Hyundai Ioniq Blue is equipped with a 7.0-inch touchscreen with Android Auto/Apple CarPlay compatibility, cloth upholstery, a 6-speed automatic transmission, 1.56-kwh lithium-ion battery, and 15-inch wheels. The base Ioniq Blue has the distinction of being the most fuel-efficient car without a plug on sale in the U.S. with a 58 mpg combined rating. Other Ioniq Hybrids are rated at 55 mpg combined due to added weight and different tires.

At the top of the pile is the Ioniq Limited that swaps in leather upholstery, a sunroof, 17-inch wheels, and Hyundai's telematics system for more than $28,000 to start.

A spend-up package is available for SEL and Limited models that upgrades the touchscreen to an 8.0-inch unit with navigation, adds premium audio, wireless cellphone charging, and advanced voice recognition.

Plug-in hybrid and all-electric models are available in base and Limited trim levels. Plug-in hybrids likely will cost nearly $26,000 and electric models ring the bell at just over $30,000 before applicable federal and state incentives are factored in.

The Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid swaps out the hybrid's 1.56-kwh battery for a larger 8.9-kwh battery system that delivers an EPA-rated 29 miles of electric range before the 1.6-liter inline-4 internal combustion engine kicks in. It's rated at 52 mpg combined as a hybrid.

The Ioniq Electric is limited in availability—and in other ways. The electric Ioniq only offers 124 miles of range, significantly less than the Bolt EV and the upcoming 2019 Nissan Leaf with a bigger battery. The Ioniq Electric is only available in Southern California too 👎, and a confusing charging reimbursement program was dropped for 2018. That may not matter to seasoned EV owners who are accustomed to off-peak charging or who are familiar with existing charging infrastructure, but the Ioniq Electric is hardly appealing to first-time EV buyers with its limited range and availability.

In any powertrain configuration, the Ioniq's best trait may be its ability to blend in seamlessly to everyday operation. There are no "look at me" styling cues to give away the Ioniq's efficient powertrain, and it's dangerously close to being completely normal.

That also figures into the Ioniq Hybrid's usability. The cargo hold is still 23.5 cubic feet (marginally smaller than a Prius) but its wide opening makes most of that space usable. The Ioniq's touchscreen and infotainment is still one of our faves, made better with smartphone compatibility that new buyers might prefer.

We still think the most likeable part of the Ioniq Hybrid is its low price and three available powertrain configurations that is, so far, unmatched by any of its competitors.  

HI-RES GALLERY: 2019 Hyundai Ioniq

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1117217_2019-hyundai-ioniq-preview

Thanks for this. I have learned to love my plug-in hybrid. The Hyundai sounds like a pretty good car.

I lean toward my next car being another Volt. When the eV battery range gets to about 50 miles, that means most of my driving is accomplished by grid power, and could be accomplished with PV power. But the small FF engine makes it possible to still make road trips when necessary. It's a good combination for someone who still needs to drive as much as I do. Volts still go for 35K+ though and when the Trumpites eliminate eV subsidies, it won't be a cheap car. My out of pocket for my volt was only 25K, and I got 4 yrs at no interest. Next time it's gonna cost more, maybe 10K more.

Glad to be of service. I would love to buy a used Leaf. They are super cheap, but I can't get my wife to agree to buy one. Hopefully, she'll come around. For now, we use Vermont Green Cab taxi service.

What do you think of that magnetic gear development at Texas A&M? I'm REALLY excited about that. The reason is that, if, and when, magnetic replaces mechanical gearing in most applications, machine efficiency and durability (MTBF) increases so much that ALL the math about how much energy we NOW need to run the planet goes out the window. This is one more huge technological innovation that can make a 100% Renewable Energy powered world a reality.   
He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. Matt 10:37

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 10:28:06 pm »
CleanTechnica
Support CleanTechnica’s work via donations on Patreon or PayPal!

Or just go buy a cool t-shirt, cup, baby outfit, bag, or hoodie.

Magnetic Gears Reduce Cost Of Wind Turbines & Wave Power

June 11th, 2018 by Steve Hanley

Transmissions are not sexy but they are essential to many mechanical devices. They allow components that turn at different speeds to work together. For instance, the blades of a wind turbine are not connected directly to the electrical generator inside. A transmission takes the relatively low rotational speed of the blades and steps it up to the higher RPMs needed to spin the generator fast enough to make electricity. Gears are the secret sauce inside any transmission. They are fairly reliable but if one breaks, it can be expensive to repair. And if it is located high on a wind turbine pylon or deep undersea in a wave power device, getting access to it to make a repair can be difficult.

magnetic gears Credit: Texas A&M

At Texas A&M, doctoral student Matthew Gardner is working on way to replace mechanical gears with magnetic ones. If he is successful, smaller, lighter, and less expensive transmissions that transmit power more efficiently will be the result. His research is being watched carefully by several companies, including ABB, the global technology company headquartered in Switzerland.

Magnetic gears require less maintenance, create less acoustical noise and vibrations and are more durable than mechanical gears. If too much power is applied to a conventional gear, it breaks but when excess power is applied to a magnetic gear, it simply slips with no mechanical damage. In essence, it acts like a clutch built into the transmission that can absorb spikes in the load applied without breaking.

“Magnetic gears drew my interest because they represent a potentially disruptive innovation in the field of electric machines,” Gardner says. “Much of the research in electric machines represents incremental improvements on the technology that has been developed over the last few hundred years.”

One of the projects Gardner is working on is building a transmission for a wave energy generator. Ocean waves can have enormous spikes in energy. The transmission has to be able to absorb high torque loads over and over again reliably. By definition, repairing a broken component that is mounted underwater is a daunting and expensive job. “Our analysis found that using a magnetically geared generator would be about 50 percent smaller, 50 percent lighter and 25 percent less expensive than using a generator without any gearing for this wave energy application,” Gardner says.

In collaboration with the US Department of Energy and ABB, he has constructed a prototype transmission with magnetic gears that can handle up to 4000 newton meters of torque. 👀 Most magnetic gearing solutions to date are limited to about 150 newton meters of torque. Converting to pounds feet — the measurement of torque most of us are familiar with — 4000 newton meters is equivalent to 3000 pounds feet — nearly four times more than a Tesla Model S P100D.

[embed=640,380]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU8TfuRqBaA[/embed]

“I am excited about the opportunity to make a disruptive change in the field of electric machines,” Gardner said. “Magnetic gears and magnetically geared machines offer the possibility to provide a significant, not just incremental, improvement in systems involving electric machines.” Anything that lowers the initial costs and ongoing maintenance expense of renewable energy systems is a welcome step forward on the road to eliminating carbon and other harmful emissions from fossil fueled generating plants. Lower renewable costs will also make nuclear power unprofitable. With magnetic gears, 100% renewable energy becomes a more realistic possibility.   

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/06/11/magnetic-gears-reduce-cost-of-wind-turbines-wave-power/

Agelbert COMMENT: I have always loved the magnetic gear concept. I imagine it has not gained more traction (pun intented 😎) due to the force needed for many applications. Nevertheless, I can see where a slow rotating giant transmission can make use of magnetic gears effectively, thereby saving millions of dollars in lubricant, while prolonging the life of the transmission itself simply because the "gears" never wear out.

I think transmissions on ships could benefit from magnetic gears as well. The less lubricants, particularly fossil fuel based lubricants, needed, the better!

Interesting. Magnetic drives already exist but on the very small level. I would not have thought wind or under water wave I would think Vehicles. Shaving weight and increasing reliability would help improve gas mileage. I'll watch this to see if it makes it out of the lab.

What caught my eye was the torque. If this magnetic gear system can deliver 4000 newton meters = 3000 pounds feet — nearly four times more than a Tesla Model S P100D without overheating for unlimited amounts of time, that is a game changer for machinery everywhere. ABB is not a small outfit. I think great innovations will come from this research.

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 01:46:15 pm »
Nevertheless, I can see where a slow rotating giant transmission can make use of magnetic gears effectively, thereby saving millions of dollars in lubricant, while prolonging the life of the transmission itself simply because the "gears" never wear out.
"Never" is a verry long time... magnets actually do wear out eventually, unless they are kept at absolute zero.  The hotter they get, the quicker they demagnetize.  Raise a magnet to its melting point and it will demagnetize instantly, unless it is already in a strong enough magnetic field.

But, for a wind turbine whose lifespan is measured in decades, this should be negligible... as long as there are no volcanoes erupting nearby ;-)

Agreed about the wind turbines. The big plus there is that their efficiency goes up several percentage points because they no longer suffer from transmission gear friction losses. The fossil fuelers will not like that. 

As to magnetic gears wearing out, Yes and no. An increase in heat, as you stated, debilitates a magnetic field, but as long as the heat is not above a certain threshold (far above ablosute zero), the field strength recovers completely, for most practical purposes, when the temperature goes back to normal operating temperature. Yes, there is SOME degradation if the temerature is not above absolute zero, but the rate of degradation is insignificitant compared to mechanical gear degradation from friction.

True, very high heat disrupts the molecular alignment that gives a a magnet its gauss strengh, hence your view view that they "wear out". In the factory process making a magnet, as you know, a strong magnetic field is placed over a molten piece of potentially magnetic material and allowed to cool, producing a "permanent" magnet.

In truth. magnets do not "wear out", ever, if you are using electromagnetism. I understand your assumption about "wear" with these magnetic gears may be based on them being permanent magnets that overheat and lose effectiveness over time, but that is not relevant to the comparison with mechanical gear wear. A mechanical gear wears, as you know, because of friction. There is zero friction with magnetic gears. That is the BIG DEAL that can change he entrie paradigm of the efficiency calculations, and therefore minimum energy requirements, to run our civilization. With magnetic gears, you eliminate a HUGE loss of efficiency now present in every single machine that hitherto used mechanical gears.   

The rate of wear of mechanical gears is orders of magnitude above the "wear" from normal magnetic heat caused degradation.

Here's a screenshot from one of the videos by Amory Lovins on the inefficiencies of our civilization. As you can see mechanical transmission (i.e. friction losses from mechanical gears) are a big drag on efficiency. We get rid of that and it's a whole new LOWER energy required ball game. 💫    

« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 02:57:50 pm by AGelbert »

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 01:47:49 pm »
well texas a and m better hurry up this one is already patented and undergoing testing.
https://www.engineering.com/ElectronicsDesign/ElectronicsDesignArticles/ArticleID/6466/Shifting-Gears-on-Wind-Turbines.aspx

Interesting!  8) he race is ON!  ;D

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 02:23:30 pm »
Hat Tip to David B. for pointing me to this EXCELLENT article. 👀

Agelbert NOTE: This article is 5 years old, but worth your attention. Perhaps it has not gained much attention, simply because the units are not for huge wind turbines that get all the news. Nevertheless, they are doing a great service for smaller installations like homes and farms (see video at the end of this article and 2017 press release).

Shifting Gears on Wind Turbines

Tom Lombardo posted on October 13, 2013 | 2 Comments | 16387 views

To gear or not to gear?

Most wind turbines have gearbox transmissions that connect the slowly spinning turbine with the speed-hungry generator. But gearboxes have disadvantages: they’re noisy, complex, and prone to failure. Gearboxes need regular maintenance and lubrication, increasing their total cost of ownership. Some manufacturers have opted for gearless direct-drive turbines, but there’s a trade-off: because the shaft spins slowly, they require much larger permanent-magnet generators, increasing the weight and initial cost of the turbines. A new technology may capture the best of both designs.

Windtech has partnered with Future Force LLC to build a turbine based on the Zero Contact TransmissionTM (ZCT) patented by Future Force. The technology uses a transmission of sorts, but instead of mechanical gears, belts, or chains, the ZCT uses neodymium permanent magnets to make the generator in the turbine spin five times faster than the rotor. Lab tests conducted at the University of St. Thomas (Minnesota) have shown the ZCT to be 98% efficient at transferring energy from its input to its output.

As shown above, the rotor drives the main shaft, which is magnetically coupled (via the ZCT) to five independent generators, each spinning five times faster than the rotor. (The picture only shows four generators, but their documentation says five. There must be one in the middle.) This provides  redundancy; the turbine could withstand the failure of one or two generators and still produce some power. The turbine is capable of generating substantial energy at low wind speeds; its peak power occurs when the wind speed is 8.1 m/s (18 mph), where comparable turbines require speeds in excess of 12 m/s (27 mph) to achieve peak output. Its startup speed is a meager 2.2 m/s (5.0 mph). It’s designed for locations with average wind speeds of 4 m/s (8.8 mph), which makes wind power viable in 50% more places.

Windtech is currently testing a prototype of its 100E 10 kW turbine (pictured below) in Glencoe MN. They plan to sell the 100E at a price that’s competitive with other units of similar size, making it more likely that customers will take this turbine out for a spin.

https://www.engineering.com/ElectronicsDesign/ElectronicsDesignArticles/ArticleID/6466/Shifting-Gears-on-Wind-Turbines.aspx

Agelbert NOTE:  The following video shows WINDTECH 8 KW VAWT AND 14 KW HAWT WIND TURBINE for small sites and homes ( 📢 Eddie, check this out!) and the BREAK THROUGH TECHNOLOGY of their patented Zero Contact Transmission (ZCT), a unique system that eliminates contact friction

Zero-Contact Transmission logs 15,000 hours of operation 👀   

June 19, 2017

Future Force Zero Contact Transmission (ZCT) hits 15,000 hour milestone. The ZCT designed and built for WindTech, Inc. just surpassed 15,000 hours of operation with NO lubrication.   

The ZCT utilizes magnetic propulsion so there is no friction or need for lubricants. Mike Tkadlec, founder of Future Force and inventor of the Zero Contact Transmission said, “to deploy a ZCT in a wind turbine is perfect for proving the viability of a high torque magnetic propulsion transmission which operates at 35% greater efficiency than a standard oil-encased gearbox. This is a major breakthrough in advancing to the next size ZCT for mW generators without lubrication.”

Future Force, LLC is a privately-owned company offering licensing to it’s patented magnetic propulsion technologies. More information can be found at www.futureforcellc.com

http://futureforcellc.com/futureforce/2017/06/19/zero-contact-transmission-logs-15000-hours-operation/

+-Recent Topics

Future Earth by AGelbert
March 30, 2022, 12:39:42 pm

Key Historical Events ...THAT YOU MAY HAVE NEVER HEARD OF by AGelbert
March 29, 2022, 08:20:56 pm

The Big Picture of Renewable Energy Growth by AGelbert
March 28, 2022, 01:12:42 pm

Electric Vehicles by AGelbert
March 27, 2022, 02:27:28 pm

Heat Pumps by AGelbert
March 26, 2022, 03:54:43 pm

Defending Wildlife by AGelbert