Total Topics: 271
Most Online Today: 1208
Most Online Ever: 1208
(March 28, 2024, 07:28:27 am)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 238
Total: 238

Author Topic: Photvoltaics (PV)  (Read 20920 times)

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. Matt 10:37

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
Re: Photvoltaics (PV)
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2015, 02:58:27 pm »
SolarCity Corp Completes The Largest Solar Project At Any US Brewery

Posted By: Vikas ShuklaPosted date: February 02, 2015 08:30:38 AM

The project will prevent more than 144 million pounds of carbon dioxide from entering the atmosphere. 

SolarCity announced over the weekend that it has completed the largest solar project at any brewery in the United States. In collaboration with MillerCoors, the San Mateo-based company has installed 10,000 solar panels across ten acres of MillerCoors’ grounds in Irwindale in Los Angeles County. The 3.2MW array will produce enough energy to brew over 7 million cases of beer every year.

Full article at link: 
http://www.valuewalk.com/2015/02/solarcity-brewery-project/
He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. Matt 10:37

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2015, 02:54:06 pm »

Look Out Utility Companies: Tesla is Disrupting More Than Just the Auto Industry

Cole Mellino | February 10, 2015 9:21 am

Elon Musk, founder of Tesla Motors, has been leading the way in innovation in the auto industry for more than a decade. The Model S made waves at this year’s International Auto Show. Last September, Tesla announced it will build the world’s largest battery factory just outside of Reno, Nevada. The company is calling it a “gigafactory,” which will produce batteries for cars making their all-electric cars more affordable. But the company also has plans for new products in solar and in-home energy storage.

In a partnership with SolarCity, Tesla plans to use rooftop solar panels fitted with Tesla’s batteries to allow customers to use that stored energy to, say, charge their electric car overnight.

Tesla will be the most significant competition utility companies have seen in 100 years, according to Adam Allington of Marketplace. Allington spoke with J.B. Straubel, Tesla’s chief technology officer, who says, “In a single factory we’re doubling the worldwide capacity to manufacture lithium-ion batteries.” That will be huge for Tesla’s all-electric fleet, but the company also plans to develop batteries for use with solar power generation.

In places such as California where solar is becoming commonplace, there is a huge demand for these batteries.    “We sign up approximately one new customer every minute of the workday,” Will Craven, director of public affairs at California-based SolarCity, told Allington. Much of the excess energy harnessed by solar panels is returned to the power grid, Cravens says. Homeowners have no control over where that excess energy goes.  :(

But now, in a partnership with SolarCity, Tesla plans to use rooftop solar panels fitted with Tesla’s batteries to allow customers to keep that energy in-house. That way, homeowners can use that energy when they want and how they want. It’s what investors call a disruptive technology and it puts Tesla in direct competition with utility companies.

“Stationary storage, or backup storage, is really being considered the ‘Holy Grail’ of renewable electricity generation,”
Ben Kallo, an analyst with the Robert W. Baird financial services firm, told Marketplace. With the ability to store energy, renewable energy sources can compete head-to-head with utility companies for customers, according to Kallo.

Musk has never been afraid of the competition. Tesla released its patents in an unprecedented move to advance electric vehicles. When asked at the International Auto Show if he was worried that so many other car companies were going electric, he said no. The future is in electric vehicles. “Forward-minded utilities might look at Tesla’s business model as an opportunity,” says Kallo. “Energy-storage technology could be used to build capacity in their existing grids and also to build new infrastructure for battery-powered cars and homes.”  ;D

http://ecowatch.com/2015/02/10/elon-musk-tesla-disrupting-auto-industry/

Renewable energy=                                 =Fossil Fuelers

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2015, 02:59:10 pm »
Can a State's Solar Market Start Without It?
John Farrell
March 04, 2015

In about half of U.S. states, an individual or business can have solar installed on their roof owned by someone else, and either buy the power or lease the array from that third party. These power purchase or lease models drastically simplify the process of going solar (at a price), avoiding the work of managing tax credits, utility or state rebates, and system maintenance.

It also appears that a state’s solar market doesn’t really start growing until solar gets simple.
Let’s look at the top 10 states in solar per capita. Guess which states allow third party ownership of solar arrays?

State                       Capacity (MW)   Population (Millions)   Per Capita PV (MW/Millions of People)      
Arizona               776                   6.7                           115      
New Jersey       845                   8.9                            95      
Nevada               214                   2.8                            76      
New Mexico       152                   2.1                            73      
Delaware                 61                   0.9                            65      
Vermont                 39                   0.6                            62  ;D      
California              1893                 38.8                            49      
Massachusetts       267                   6.8                            39      
Connecticut       106                   3.6                            29      
Colorado               134                   5.4                            25   

Every single one.

But it’s not just the top 10. If you look at the 26 states with more solar installed per capita than the national median — 2.3 megawatts per million persons — 21 of the 26 solar market leaders allow third party ownership. In the map below, you can see the clear overlap of third party ownership rules with solar capacity.
Note: the “Top 25″ is actually the 26 states at or above the median capacity per million persons.

These “Top 25″ states account for 99 percent of all solar capacity in the country.

In other words, people will go solar if it’s simple and — with the possible exception of Indiana — not before.
Third party ownership — via a solar lease or power purchase agreement — makes solar simple, and this simplicity is necessary because financing solar remains so complex. In contrast, 75 percent of Americans choose ownership over leasing when acquiring a new car, because there’s financing available at the dealer and few, if any, federal, state, and utility-based incentives to manage. If solar ownership can be made as simple as owning a car (or even a home), expect solar ownership to swell.

So why doesn’t every state jump into third party owned solar arrays?

Because there are substantial advantages to states in simplifying solar ownership. Ownership means more of the economic value of of a solar array stays local, whereas the third party market for solar is dominated by a few national firms. These firms are less likely to tap the in-state supply chain for everything from legal services to panel manufacturing. In other words, the cost of third party provided simplicity is economic returns.

Unfortunately, few states (if any) have figured out how to make solar ownership as simple as leasing, and the data shows that states that want solar have to make it simple. It’s no easy choice.
This article originally posted at ilsr.org. For timely updates, follow John Farrell on Twitter or get the Democratic Energy weekly update.
Photo credit: Matthias Friel via Flickr (CC BY-NC-SA 2.0 license)
http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/rea/blog/post/2015/03/can-a-states-solar-market-start-without-it

Agelbert NOTE (and rant): PV needs sun. The more sun, the more RENEWABLE ENERGY is available to reduce fossil fuel and nuclear pig profits. And, of course, Global Warming caused by greenhouse gasses spurs more people to transition to RENEWABLE ENERGY. This is disturbing to fossil fuelers  .

SO, they DO what they ALWAYS have DONE to make their horrendously polluting and outrageously expensive energy product appear "more competitive". They dream up a Geo-Engineered "heat shied" to be PAID for by we-the-people, OF COURSE. They don't tell us about it, OF COURSE. The fact that it might do more harm than good (which has now been PROVEN to be the case) is irrelevant to these biosphere math challenged, game theory worshipping idiots. It's the old "break a few eggs to make an omelete" fallacy. 

The DOE (department of Energy) and the DOD (Department of Defense) received their marching orders around the year 2000.

If YOU were the USAF, tasked by our Fossil Fuel Government to Geo-Engineer a "heat Shield" to save fossil fueler profits and assses, do you think it is F UCKING OBVIOUS, from the chart below, where you would order your jet tankers to fly the MAIN AEROSOL DISPERSAL FLIGHT PATTERN?

Study the above chart, please. Now study the below chart, please. 

The law of unintended consequences strikes again.  >:( DROUGHT is only one of SEVERAL deleterious effects of this incredibly stupid "aerosol heat shield" attempt to save fossil fueldom's ass.

So how come YOU haven't heard about this correlation that really IS deleterious causation?
The M.I.C. mens rea modus operandi evidenced below is standard operating procedure when a giant expense is being foisted on the unwitting public.

Why are these policy makers so reticent to recognize the folly of Geo-Engineering? Why are they willing to risk irreparable harm to the biosphere for the sake of DIRTY ENERGY PROFITS?   ???

Because they are fascists.

The above is a 1975 patent for a contrail MODIFIER. I'm sure some "enhancements" have been made since then.

Have a nice day.  8)

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2015, 05:23:32 pm »

Large-scale Solar Reaches Nearly 36 Gigawatts in 2014
Renewable Energy World Editors
March 05, 2015

Massachusetts, USA -- Global utility-scale PV added 14.2 GW in 2014 doubling 2013 totals and bringing total global generating capacity to 35.9 GW in 2014, according to figured released by Wiki-Solar. The 2014 additions equate to the entire installed capacity at the end of 2012, demonstrating recent massive growth.

The lion's share of the total capacity is split between North America, Asia and Europe, while 2014 saw Africa and South America finally enter the mix with some sizable additions. Europe also saw new growth this year, after the stagnancy it saw years prior. Much of this growth has been centralized in the U.K. market, which may leapfrog India and Germany to become one of the top three global markets, according to Philip Wolfe, founder of Wiki-Solar. Much of this growth is due to favorable policy that is set to expire  >:(, which means that the region may soon see stagnation again soon. 

China, India and the U.S. will see more stable long-term growth, as well as Chile, Japan and Canada.

New utility-scale solar installations and cumulative year-end capacity by continent. Credit: Wiki-Solar

These results are based on data published by the end of February 2015. Wiki-Solar emphasizes that the figures tend to creep further upwards as information is published over the course of the year.

The installed capacity of utility-scale power plants in the leading countries at the end of 2014 was:

These top fourteen markets account for 94 percent of the world’s utility-scale solar.
Credit: Wiki-Solar

All top 14 countries shown above, apart from Ukraine, will likely be in the “gigawatt plus club” by the end of 2015, according to Wolfe, and we’ll also see some new entrants in the years to come.   
http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/rea/news/article/2015/03/large-scale-solar-reaches-nearly-36-gigawatts-in-2014

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2015, 02:49:22 pm »
Developer Pursues Floating Solar Projects in US

Justin Doom, Bloomberg 
 March 20, 2015  |  4 Comments 

NEW YORK -- Solar Power Inc., a renewable-energy developer backed by China’s LDK Solar Co., is joining with Aqua Clean Energy to develop floating solar projects in the U.S. and Mexico.

The joint venture would put solar panels on platforms in reservoirs, quarry lakes, irrigation canals and tailing ponds, Shanghai-based Solar Power said in a statement Thursday. The joint venture is considering projects in California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas and Mexico.

In addition to the environmental benefits of clean power, the platforms will reduce water evaporation and slow algae growth, Solar Power said. The two companies have identified more than 50 megawatts of potential projects.

“This technology not only generates clean solar power energy, but also serves to conserve water in critically dry regions like the southwestern U.S. and California in particular, which is now experiencing its fourth consecutive year of drought,” Peng Xiaofeng, chairman of SPI, said in the statement.

Jacqueline Lilinshtein, a Bloomberg New Energy Finance analyst, said the concept may have a limited market appeal and only a small impact on water conservation.

“Unless the technology offers significant savings in capital expenditures or increases output, it will likely remain a niche product,” Lilinshtein said Thursday in an e-mail. “Any water savings will be a drop in a bucket, especially in places such as California, which is enduring one of the worst droughts in its recent history.”

California’s reservoirs are less than half full after record-low rain and snowfall. Governor Jerry Brown is expected to unveil emergency legislation Thursday that’s intended to help manage the water shortage.

Solar installations in the U.S. this year may reach almost 9 gigawatts, while global demand is expected to rise 23 percent to more than 58 gigawatts, according to data compiled by Bloomberg New Energy Finance. Last year, about 6.3 gigawatts were added in the U.S.    

Copyright 2015 Bloomberg

http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/rea/news/article/2015/03/solar-power-inc-seeks-to-develop-floating-projects-in-us#comment-141064

A. G. Gelbert 

March 21, 2015 

The only upside I can see to this is its application to drought stricken areas that have a reservoir severely depleted. Less evaporation on the water surface will save the fish and the boating tourist dollars as well as making up for the lower hydropower energy output.

I wrote about it some time ago (July 10, 2014):

SNIPPET:

I've been thinking about that problem at Lake Mead...  ::) Yeah, I KNOW this sounds like a (heaven forbid!) Technofix, but what do you think of this AID to somewhat reduce the gravity of the water-ain't-there problem.  ;D

You see, I just read that about 1/12 of the water along that stretch of dams from Vegas to Phoenix EVAPORATES. Well, the MKings of this world don't want us to do the math there,  :icon_mrgreen: but it takes and ENORMEOUS amount of ENERGY to evaporate that much water. And yeah, the reservoirs are where MOST of that evaporation takes place!   

So, I posted this at Ecowatch on the article about the Colorado River problems with low water levels:

One twelfth evaporating is a LOT of water. Do you realize how much solar energy is going to waste in that process?  Our society has gotten really blind at obvious solutions.

What I mean is that IF you put SHADE over the reservoirs in the form of FLOATING SOLAR PANEL structures (the Japanese are putting them on the ocean surface, a far more corrosive environment, so a lake is not a problem!), you RADICALLY reduce the evaporation AND get a bunch of energy at the same time! More WATER and more ENERGY! What's not to like?

Yeah, I know. that's WAY too obvious! LOL! We used to do "obvious" in the USA. What happened? 

Sure some boater will complain that he doesn't want to navigate around solar panels. So what!? 

People, we need to come together and win the Climate Victory or we will be very miserable or very dead!

http://ecowatch.com/2014/07/09/drought-drains-lake-mead-senator-segerblom/

http://www.doomsteaddiner.net/forum/index.php/topic,785.msg51058.html#msg51058

Agelbert NOTE: Tell me, WHAT other energy industry in the USA has a 43% INCREASE in energy output PER YEAR? What other industry increases that output percentage EVERY YEAR, as solar does?

WHY do Energy "Experts" like Gail Tverberg    and Nicole Foss  CONSISTENTLY DENY this OBVIOUS writing on the wall (see DEATH SENTENCE) for DIRTY ENERGY from fossil fuels and nuclear power?

Because they are BOUGHT AND PAID FOR LIARS! 

Nevertheless, when then renewable energy numbers are so overwhelming that these craven water carriers for dirty energy doubletalk can no longer push their pap without looking like world class math challenged morons, expect a "road to Damascus" style conversion and an effort to rewrite their own history claiming they were "supporting Renewable Energy all along".   

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2015, 02:16:43 pm »
Six Flags to Build New Jersey’s Largest Solar Farm and Become First Theme Park to Be Entirely Self-Powered   

Anastasia Pantsios | March 28, 2015 8:57 am

New Jersey theme park Six Flags Great Adventure announced that it is partnering with New Jersey-based KDC Solar to construct a solar farm that will provide virtually all its energy needs. It will be the largest solar farm in New Jersey and will make the sprawling, 2,200-acre Six Flags Great Adventure the first theme park in the country to be entirely self-powered. The park is located in Jackson Township in central New Jersey, 26 miles from Asbury Park on the Jersey Shore.

By the 2017 season, these roller coasters will be running on solar power. Image credit: Six Flags Great Adventure

“We are continually searching for new ways to operate more efficiently and enhance our role as good stewards of the environment,” said the park’s president John Fitzgerald. “Solar power will significantly reduce our reliance on harmful fossil fuels.”

Six Flags said that the 90-acre, 21.9 megawatt (MW) facility will take about 16-18 months to construct and should be up and running in late 2016. It’s expected to produce about 98 percent of the park’s electricity, accounting for some cloudy days.

Jackson township councilman Kenneth Bressi told the Asbury Park Press that the township, whose planning board gave the project the green light earlier this month, is enthusiastic about it because the undeveloped property east of the park that the solar farm will be located on will be taxed at a higher rate and the new facility helps assure the park will stay open for the long term.

“God knows what their electric bill is and what they’re going to be saving annually,” said Bressi. “They wouldn’t be doing projects like this if they weren’t going to be around for a long while, so this is great for Great Adventure and for Jackson.”

David Beavers, solar campaign organizer at Environment New Jersey, also expressed enthusiasm for the project, telling the Asbury Park Press, “This is going to be the biggest installation in New Jersey, which is going to be a huge step in the right direction.”

It was also revealed the 18,000 trees would be removed to make way for the facility. Six Flags spokesperson Kristin Siebeneicher told the Asbury Park Press the trees were mostly in poor condition and that the Six Flags and KDC Solar would be replanting 25,000 trees over a seven-year period.   

“Hearing that they are going to be replanting those trees, it definitely sounds like it’s going to be a worthwhile initiative,” said Beavers.

While Six Flags Great Adventure is boasting it will be the largest U.S. theme park to rely entirely on clean energy, it doesn’t have much competition yet. Last April, Tampa’s much smaller, 150-acre Legoland Florida announced that it was the first U.S. theme park to run entirely on renewables for one day when it did so to celebrate Earth Day. The park’s Imagination Zone area features permanent solar panels that continue to feed energy to that section of the park.

Currently, the Tinton Fall Solar Farm and Pilesgrove Solar Farms are the largest solar facilities in New Jersey, each generating about 20 MW of power. New Jersey ranks sixth among states in the amount of solar installed in 2014 with 239.8 MW and currently has the third highest amount of installed capacity after California and Arizona, according to the Solar Energy Industries Association.

http://ecowatch.com/2015/03/28/six-flags-solar-farm/

Agelbert NOTE: For those who will be offended by this obviously unnecessary use of human technology to further trash the biosphere by killing a bunch of trees with the, possibly mendacious, promise that they will plant enough to replace them.

SO? It's better for the "circus" part of the bread and circus fascist MO to be Renewable Energy powered than fossil fuel powered.

WHY is that so, if this entertainment stuff will make the rubes happier and thereby apparently provide more staying power to the fascists that run the show?  ???

Because distributed RENEWABLE Energy will weaken the coercive power of centralized utilities. This undermines fossil fuel fascism while encouraging democracy.  ;D

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2015, 02:44:31 pm »
Brazil to Build World’s Largest Floating Solar Farm Amidst Devastating Drought
Lorraine Chow | April 7, 2015 9:40 am

With Brazil’s historic drought drying up its hydroelectric plants, the South American country is turning to solar power to help relieve its foreboding energy crisis.

Brazil’s devastating drought has depleted its reservoirs causing the nation to consider alternative energy options besides hydropower, which supplies more than 75 percent country’s power. Photo credit: Shutterstock

The nation announced that within four months, it will commence pilot tests of a gigantic floating solar farm located atop the Balbina hydroelectric plant in the Amazon. It’s currently unclear how physically large the floating farm will be, but the enormous reservoir it will sit on covers 2,360 square kilometers.

At 350 megawatts, Brazil’s ambitious project would easily trump Japan’s currently largest 13.4 megawatt floating solar power plant in terms of power output. To put that in another perspective, the largest solar farm in the world is the 550 megawatt Desert Sunlight Solar Farm in California.

Diversifying energy sources is clearly a necessity for the notoriously parched country. Brazil is experiencing its worst drought in four decades, causing electricity blackouts in many regions. Below-average rainfall in the last few years have depleted its reservoirs, thus gutting its formerly plentiful supply of hydropower, which supplies more than three-quarters of the country’s electricity, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

As Climate News Network reported, “the reservoirs in the drought-affected region could fall to as little as 10 percent of their capacity, which … Mines and Energy Minister Eduardo Braga admits would be ‘catastrophic’ for energy security.”
While the sunny country has tremendous potential for solar power, Brazil has been slow to embrace this form of renewable energy. It was only in October 2014, when Brazil made its first foray into this sector with the construction of 31 solar parks, its first large-scale solar project with a combined capacity of 1,048 megawatts.

A shift to solar energy might be fitting, as the Balbina Dam (where the proposed solar farm will eventually sit) has been criticized for emitting more greenhouse gases than a coal-fired power plant.
“We are adding technological innovation, more transmission lines, diversifying our energy generation source, introducing solar energy in a more vigorous manner and combining solar energy with hydroelectric energy,” Braga told reporters about the solar farm project.

“We are preparing ourselves to win the challenge in 2015 and be able to deliver a model and an electric system starting in 2016 which will be cheaper, more secure and with greater technological innovation,” Braga said. Electricity produced at the farm is expected to cost between $69 and $77 per megawatt hour, reports say.
http://ecowatch.com/2015/04/07/brazil-floating-solar-farm/

Agelbert comment: This is a GREAT idea. Massive a mounts of water loss is due to evaporation. This will cut up to 12% of the evaporation while adding Renewable Energy.

I hope the large reservoirs in the USA which are  losing water from drought conditions take up this OBVIOUS solution to added energy while reducing water evaporation.

Drought Drains Lake Mead to Lowest Level

Developer Pursues Floating Solar Projects in US

P.S.

Don't hold your breath waiting for Governor Brown of California to listen; the fossil fueler industry OWNS  him.

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2015, 11:25:49 pm »

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2015, 12:55:08 am »
Janet Dixon is director of facilities at the Temecula Valley Unified School District in southern California, which plans to install solar panels at 20 of its 28 schools this summer. Dixon said that SolarCity is the solar provider, and five of the facilities will have Tesla batteries.

“We spend roughly $3 million a year on electricity, and most of that is lighting and air conditioning,” said Dixon. “We are going solar to reduce our overall costs and the battery storage should help us manage our peak demand.”

Copyright 2015 Bloomberg

Full article:  ;D

http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/rea/news/article/2015/04/tesla-powered-wal-mart-stores-attest-to-musks-energy-storage-ambitions

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2015, 08:27:27 pm »

Renewable energy=                                 =Fossil Fuelers

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2015, 09:58:38 pm »
Old article but still applicable.  ;D

MIRROR REFLECTING COST EFFECTIVE PV SOLAR ENERGY
CONCENTRATING SYSTEM

V. Dallakyan, R.Vardanyan
State Engineering University of Armenia
105 Teryan Str.,375009, Yerevan, Armenia Fax: 3741 545843; E-Mail: rvardan@seua.am

ABSTRACT

To reduce the high cost of photovoltaic (PV) systems the new cost effective mirror reflecting linear focus type solar energy concentrating system is developed. The concentrator system consists of flat glass mirrors, placed under the different angles, and focusing the sun light on to
the solar sells mounted along the line.

The developed PV concentrator system has several advantages in comparison with widely used other concentrating systems. It is mostly protected from environmental influences (wind, dust, rain, hail). Due to the simplified structure of concentrating optics, the standard off-the-shelf technologies enable low-cost manufacturing.

The cost optimization method and the computer program for new concentrating systems design is
developed as well. The program allows to design a PV system with the given output power, having the minimal price. The program can be used for cost effective PV solar energy concentrating systems design

http://www.ies.upm.es/fileadmin/contenidos/programas/sistemas_integracion/El_Escorial/Session_3A_2.pdf

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
« Reply #88 on: May 17, 2015, 02:11:22 pm »
As energy costs consume more and more of our hard-earned dollars, we as consumers really start to pay attention. But we don't have to resign ourselves to $5/gallon gas prices, $200/month electric bills and $500 heating bills. There are literally hundreds of products, tricks and techniques that we can use to dramatically reduce these costs — very affordably.  ;D

The Energy Show on Renewable Energy World is a weekly 20-minute podcast that provides tips and advice to reduce your home and business energy consumption. Every week we'll cover topics that will help cut your energy bill, explain new products and technologies in plain English, and cut through the hype so that you can make smart and cost-effective energy choices.

Listen Up: How Many Solar Panels Do I Need?  ???

May 14, 2015

By The Energy Show on Renewable Energy World

For a homeowner, it’s a simple question. But in order to answer the question accurately, solar installers need to make a number of assumptions — as well as gather some pretty detailed information from a homeowner. Often, by the time these data gathering questions are answered, the homeowner is even more confused.

The ideal system size that a homeowner really needs is bounded by two parameters. First, the number of panels that will physically fit on the roof — taking into account applicable setbacks, wiring issues, shading, structural requirements and aesthetics.  And second, the size of the current (or projected) electric bill (only the utility will benefit if the resulting electric bill is negative). Naturally, a third parameter — the homeowner’s budget — is almost always a factor.

Of course, a lot of number crunching goes on behind the scenes as a good installer determines the energy output, annual savings, and financing options for the customer. And tradeoffs are usually offered between higher efficiency/more expensive panels and inverters, and lower efficiency more affordable equipment. Please Listen Up to this week's Energy Show on Renewable Energy World as we go through a simple three step process to determine how many solar panels a homeowner needs: first, determine how many panels fit on the roof; second, determine how many panels it will take to zero out the electric bill; and third, find a trustworthy solar contractor with fair pricing.

Listen to this informative podcast at the link: 

http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/articles/2015/05/listen-up-how-many-solar-panels-do-i-need.html

AGelbert

• Administrator
    • Renwable Revolution
« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2015, 08:52:39 pm »
This Company Is Leading the Charge to Expedite Renewable Energy   ;D

Stefanie Spear | May 19, 2015 2:16 pm

I’m fascinated by companies that are leading the charge in transitioning our energy use from fossil fuels to clean energy. One company that wasn’t yet on radar, until I met them at the Global Citizen 2015 Earth Day festivities in DC, is Building Energy.

I had the pleasure of meeting several top players in the company and had the chance to interview Building Energy’s CEO Fabrizio Zago and Managing Director of North America Andrea Braccialarghe.

Building Energy’s Managing Director of North America Andrea Braccialarghe (left) and CEO Fabrizio Zago in front of the 18 kilowatt solar system that powered the Alcantara Magic Garden-Connect4Climate pavilion during the Global Citizen Earth Day event on the National Mall in Washington, DC. Photo credit: Stefanie Spear

In just a few years Building Energy has achieved an impressive track record:
230 MW (megawatts) total plants completed worldwide;
110 MW of plants in operations;
212 GWh (gigawatt hour) annual global production;
150 MW photovoltaic systems produced directly or indirectly in Italy;
81 MW largest single photovoltaic project completed (Kathu, South Africa);

Development pipeline for a total of approximately 2,000 MW from photovoltaic, mini- hydroelectric, wind and biomass technology in 24 countries worldwide. 

When I first arrived at the Alcantara Magic Garden-Connect4Climate pavilion, the Building Energy crew was busy installing the first-ever solar array on the National Mall to power the pavilion using energy entirely from the sun. The 3,000-square-foot solar field—about the size of a basketball court—was just hundreds of feet from the Washington Monument.

While visiting the pavilion, I sat down with Zago and Braccialarghe to learn more about their company.

Spear:
How long ago did you start your company?

Zago:
We started Building Energy in 2010 in Italy. It was a very interesting time because Italy was seeing huge investments in renewable energy. More than 20 percent of electricity used was made by renewable energy at that time. Today we are an international company with our world headquarters in Milan, Italy and other offices in Cape Town, South Africa, Washington DC for North and Central America, Tokyo for the Asian market, Dubai for the Middle East and Belgrade for Eastern Europe.

Spear:
Are the majority of your projects large-scale solar farms?

Zago: In South Africa we have several projects we’ve recently been rewarded for solar, wind, biomass and hydro. Seventy percent of our business is in Africa. We have several projects we’ve done in the U.S., including a solar job at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York, completed last year, and projects in Eygpt and Jordan. We started as a solar company. Eighty percent of our business is in solar, but the other big part is in wind. And, now we have two projects in biomass, one in South Africa, which is the first biomass plant in South Africa, and one in Serbia. The biomass plant in South Africa burns the by-product of producing sugar cane—the parts of the sugar cane plant that are considered waste. The biomass plant produces electricity for the electrical system of South Africa.

Building Energy installed this 2 megawatt solar array at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York. Photo credit: Building Energy

Spear: What’s your role with the company, Andrea?

Braccialarghe:
I’m leading the U.S. efforts based in Washington, DC. In America we also do projects in solar, wind, biomass and hydro. But, different from our work in South Africa where we have large utility scale projects, in the U.S. we are more focused on distributed generation. One of our flagship projects is a wind project in Iowa. The project is based on different wind turbines located in a radius of 50 miles providing energy to different communities. We are a very flexible company. We can install a 18 kilowatt system like we did here on the Washington Mall, but we can also build multi-scale, multi-megawatt solar plants in South Africa.

Building Energy’s Managing Director of North America Andrea Braccialarghe talks to a group of students about the 18 kilowatt solar system that powered the Alcantara Magic Garden-Connect4Climate pavilion during the Global Citizen Earth Day event on the National Mall in Washington, DC. Photo credit: Stefanie Spear

Spear:
How do you see the mission and vision of your company helping to mitigate climate change?

Braccialarghe:
Building Energy’s expertise is its ability to develop new solutions for the production of energy from renewable sources. This is crucial in countering the harmful effects of climate change because it contributes to the reduction of CO2 emissions and to the decrease in the dependency on fossil fuels. Moreover, the company’s commitment in the fight against climate change has been recently shown also by its participation in the most famous world event about environmental protection, and by the partnership with Connect4Climate, the global community launched by the World Bank Group and the Italian Ministry for the Environment Land and Sea to raise global awareness and expand the debate around climate change issues.

Spear:
What countries have the most appealing policies to implement renewables?

Braccialarghe:
The U.S. is taking some steps to fight climate change. In June 2014, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency proposed the Clean Power Plan, aiming to decrease carbon pollution by 30 percent from the power sector by 2030, also through an expansion in the production of energy from renewable sources.

However, one of the most promising markets for renewable energy is South Africa, thanks to its decision to invest in this field to make its economic growth more sustainable. In order to move away from a market historically focused on coal, in 2011, the government launched a National Energy Plan with the objective of changing the energy balance within the country by 2030. The National Energy Plan, which aims to increase available power while diversifying the country’s energy sources, also includes the Renewable Energy Independent Power Producer Procurement Program.

Building Energy’s 81 megawatt solar project in Kathu, South Africa. Photo credit: Building Energy

Another view of Building Energy’s 81 megawatt solar project in Kathu, South Africa. Photo credit: Building Energy

Spear:
What are you hoping to see at the climate talks in Paris?

Zago:
We hope that, through the United Nations conference in Paris, world leaders will manage to reach an agreement, accepted by all nations, to stop the harmful effects of climate change. Governments need to set some fair rules, but also ambitious targets, so that every country, within their grasp, might give their contribution to the climate change fight. And we’re sure that renewable energy could play a decisive role in helping countries reach their goals.

Watch this video Building Energy created in celebration of Earth Day 2015 (at link):

http://ecowatch.com/2015/05/19/building-energy/2/

+-Recent Topics

Future Earth by AGelbert
March 30, 2022, 12:39:42 pm

Key Historical Events ...THAT YOU MAY HAVE NEVER HEARD OF by AGelbert
March 29, 2022, 08:20:56 pm

The Big Picture of Renewable Energy Growth by AGelbert
March 28, 2022, 01:12:42 pm

Electric Vehicles by AGelbert
March 27, 2022, 02:27:28 pm

Heat Pumps by AGelbert
March 26, 2022, 03:54:43 pm

Defending Wildlife by AGelbert